Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony KV27FS210 stopped working

TV is about 6 or 7 years old and had been taking a while to come on
for several days. I'd turn it on, the red led indicator would blink a
few times, then it would take a few minutes for the picture to come
on, sometimes accompanied by a loud noise.

Then there was a surge of some kind in the house, not lightning, the
TV went out and would not come back on. The LED blinks, then it just
shuts off.

Does this provide enough information to tell whether this would be
worth repairing or should I just junk it and go out and get a new flat
panel?

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 17 jun, 22:18, k wrote:
TV is about 6 or 7 years old and had been taking a while to come on
for several days. *I'd turn it on, the red led indicator would blink a
few times, then it would take a few minutes for the picture to come
on, sometimes accompanied by a loud noise.

Then there was a surge of some kind in the house, not lightning, the
TV went out and would not come back on. *The LED blinks, then it just
shuts off.

Does this provide enough information to tell whether this would be
worth repairing or should I just junk it and go out and get a new flat
panel?

Thanks.

Don't get a flat panel. These are not only generally inferior in image
quality, but more importantly often unrepairable due to high cost and
extreme scarcity of parts! 600$ throwaway telly anyone?

anyway getting back on track. This could be a cracked solder joint
(very common with Sony stuff!) in the line or power stage which has
finally either let loose or stressed some other component as you
nursed it along.

As the set is quite recent, I would at least get a tech to look at it
as there should be plenty of life left in it. Diagnosing by internet
is pure guesswork.
best of luck,
B.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:18:12 -0700 (PDT), k put
finger to keyboard and composed:

TV is about 6 or 7 years old and had been taking a while to come on
for several days. I'd turn it on, the red led indicator would blink a
few times, then it would take a few minutes for the picture to come
on, sometimes accompanied by a loud noise.

Google searches suggest that your TV has a BA-5D chassis.

If so, then see page 7 of the following service manual for LED blink
codes.

SERVICE MANUAL, Sony BA-5D CHASSIS:
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2010-0...2616048696.pdf

Other manuals:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sony+...truct ions%22

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 17, 4:18*pm, k wrote:
TV is about 6 or 7 years old and had been taking a while to come on
for several days. *I'd turn it on, the red led indicator would blink a
few times, then it would take a few minutes for the picture to come
on, sometimes accompanied by a loud noise.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have someone take a look at
it and hope that I can get a few more years out of it for not too much
money. Then maybe the reliability of the flat panels will have
improved. Of course a 42 inch set will probably be $5000 by then...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:03:52 -0700 (PDT), b
wrote:

On 17 jun, 22:18, k wrote:
[...]

ROTFLMAO!!! What a stupid piece of drivel. From the first sentence
you are horribly wrong, then go on to compound the error. With one
minor exception, flat panel TVs provide a vastly superior picture.
(It is much less painful to watch a horrible picture on a CRT TV, I
will admit). Granted, repairability will vary, however many
manufactures provide full service documentation and troubleshooting
charts. Under those circumstances, the only person who would be
unable to repair one would be a dolt who is unable to determine which
end of the soldering iron to grasp.

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

wrote:
On 17 jun, 22:18, k wrote:
[...]

Oh dear - usual OMFG WTF LOL kneejerk Web 2.0 response.
Ever put (even a cheap) CRT set next to the average LCD or plasma ?
Thought not...a huge number (especially LCD) suffer from poor colour
temperature, motion, and 'orrible digital processing, not to mention
the lower lifespan. To get something better than the OP's current Sony
CRT will probably mean spending quite a bit on one of the better Sony
or Panasonic LCDs or a plasma - certainly, what he has now will blow
most of what's currently around in the low -mid price range out of the
water.

Your naive claim that 'many manufacturers supply full service
documentation and troubleshooting charts' is somewhat dated to put it
politely- you can probably count these on the fingers of the hand of a
twice-convicted Saudi shoplifter! And most are very anal about who
they supply it to, if and when you do find it. I have conversations
daily with other techs who lament the increasingly limited service
backup, especially from big and respected names, which has been in
such steep decline in the past decade.

The sheer expense of repair for so many flat panels comes down largely
to the fact that in many cases now, the tech's job is limited to being
a board jockey, since these are simply pcb-swaps not component level
servicing (with the exception of the odd obvious cap in the PSU or or
inverter). In one recent case I had, the PSU and inverter were one and
the same PCB - would have cost over 100€ to replace, such a wasteful
design, even though the PSU part was Ok. Owner declined the
estimate....and let's not forget the Z-SUS and Y-SUS which usually
both have to be changed at once....

Makes you long for the days or arcing Line output transformers!

-B

-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
On 17 jun, 22:18, k wrote:
[...]

Speaking of mindless drivel, you continue to prove my point. Yes, I
have placed both expensive and cheap CRT TVs next to digital TVs -
Plasma, LCD, and DLP. In each case I give digital points for
resolution, brightness, and sharpness. A CRT will win on viewing
angle, but what's the point? I've never heard a complaint about color
fidelity, possibly because anybody with an IQ in double digits knows
that any resemblence to the original is meerly at the whim of everyone
in the signal path.

As far as service literature, I have used manuals from Samsung,
Mitsubishi, Philips, Sony, LG Electronics, and Panasonic. Certainly
more fingers than you have on your hand. I will grant that if you buy
the cheapest Polaroid, Memorex, or house brand set you will find that
schematics are unknown outside the factory (If they even exist there).
That is why I warn people not to buy them. Still, even those are
usually serviceable.

I've been servicing TVs for over 40 years, and I've heard the same
crap, usually from someone who barely knows which end of a soldering
iron to hold. It started with 'PC boards are impossible to service',
then it was 'You can't service transistors'. Bonded deflection yokes
caused another uproar, as did scan derived power supplies, and every
other innovation that has come out of the factories in the past 4
decades.

So you're another proponent of the Y-sus / Z-sus myth. Yes, it IS a
good idea to change the Y-buffers at the same time as the Y-sus IF
there is any chance the buffer was damaged. The 'replace both Y-sus
and Z-sus' drivel was probably spouted by somebody who thought CRTs
were the highest point of TV perfection and didn't want to learn how
to deal with the new technology. Tell me, do you also believe you
cannot lay a plasma TV flat?

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 25 jun, 05:05, wrote:

Speaking of mindless drivel, you continue to prove my point. Yes, I

have placed both expensive and cheap CRT TVs next to digital TVs -
Plasma, LCD, and DLP. In each case I give digital points for
resolution, brightness, and sharpness.

I notice you avoid mentioning movement, evidence of digtal /scan
artefacts (especially at non-native resolutions), and skin tone.

I've never heard a complaint about color
fidelity,

....then you have been living in a cave.

possibly because anybody with an IQ in double digits knows
that any resemblence to the original is meerly at the whim of everyone
in the signal path.

.... now we're getting defensive, aren't we? 'mindless drivel', 'IQ in
double digits'..
Speaking of IQ, interesting spelling of 'meerly' (sic). People in
glass houses shouldn't throw stones!
'Everyone in the signal path' (sic) - sounds like you're more confused
than 20 blind lesbians in a fish market!

As far as service literature, I have used manuals from Samsung,
Mitsubishi, Philips, Sony, LG Electronics, and Panasonic. Certainly
more fingers than you have on your hand.

well, I bow down before you. That's 6 manuals you've 'used' . How many
fingers you got on your hand then?!

I will grant that if you buy
the cheapest Polaroid, Memorex, or house brand set you will find that
schematics are unknown outside the factory (If they even exist there).
That is why I warn people not to buy them. Still, even those are
usually serviceable.

Yes, everything is 'serviceable' - at a price, which in the case of
many screens is usually prohibitive, so they are not really
'serviceable' at all, unless as I mentioned, it is something like bad
caps. When you get to board -swapping repairs, with inverter, display
drivers and screen faults, price/ low availability begin to make it
unfeasible.

I've been servicing TVs for over 40 years, and I've heard the same
crap, usually from someone who barely knows which end of a soldering
iron to hold.

....once again, you're getting defensive/offensive - a sure sign of a
weak argument and a weak mind. I've no intention of arguing further
with an idiot - they bring you down to their level, then beat you with
experience.

I hope you manage to get over your insecurities some day.
Over and out.
-B