Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What signal generator for audio work?

Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?
I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.
Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

What other gear is handy to have?
I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Thanks
CT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Chris Tansit" wrote in message
Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?
I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.
Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

What other gear is handy to have?
I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Thanks
CT

For general work I think any decent sine-square generator in good working
order would do.
Use sine waves for a general troubleshooting signal source, use square
waves, usually around 1 kHz as a good overall (quick) check for linearity.
One thing I've noticed for example, a square wave signal viewed on a 'scope
will quickly tell you if a loudness or filter switch is malfunctioning. One
channel may remain boosted or attenuated when the control is back in the
"neutral" position.
Also, square waves seem to show more easily the effects of dirty controls,
relays, etc as you are manipulating or tapping on them (when viewed on a
'scope of course).
I use a Leader solid state model at work (don't remember the model) but for
many years used an Eico 377 tube model. They can be found all over eBay for
under 50.00.
A new solid state model will run 179.00 and up.

I think most distortion analyzers sine wave generators built in - my Sound
Technology 1700B does. They can be had used for maybe around 400.00 or so.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/17/2010 2:22 AM, Chris Tansit wrote:
Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?
I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.
Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

What other gear is handy to have?
I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Thanks
CT

For general use, I use a Heathkit IG-5218 (also available in a
different color as the IG-18, which is a bit older) This unit has
stepped frequency selection and an output meter. Really easy to work on
if it needs it. Likely available on e-bay or at hamfests for under $50.
I've seen filthy ones as low as $10. Of course the build quality of
the kit is a factor.

There are also lots of mods possible to make them lower distortion, but
some of the mods reduce the stability and make the settling time when
changing frequencies annoying at best, and damaging at worst. Also, the
unit is low enough in distortion for general use as is. If you don't
have or need a distortion analyzer, they are pointless.

That said, there a lots of good choices.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

P.S. Here's one on e-bay now:

190389304471
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris Tansit wrote in message
Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?
I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.
Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

What other gear is handy to have?
I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Thanks
CT

A calibrated , well at least consistently marked between ranges , attenuator
on the o/p is useful

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a heavily modded Heathkit audio generator, which I'd be happy to
sell.

I don't remember the model number. About 35 years ago, "Audio Amateur"
published an article on modifying this generator for ultra-low distortion.
The "catch" is that when you change frequency, you have to wait a second or
two for the generator to settle.

I'd sell it for the original price of the kit. If you're interested, please
get in touch with me.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris Tansit Inscribed thus:

Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?
I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.
Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

What other gear is handy to have?
I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Thanks
CT

Knock up a multivibrator circuit ! Four resistors, three caps, two
transistors & 9V battery.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17 Apr 2010 06:22:06 GMT, Chris Tansit wrote:

Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?

A computah, of course. Get a 96KHz 24 bit sound card and some
softwa
http://www.sillanumsoft.org/prod01.htm (see sig gen feature)
There are plenty of others, including some that I use on my iPod
Touch. (I need 2 tones, with very low intermod products, for testing
SSB and ACSSB radios). The nice thing about the laptop or iPod Touch
approach is that it's portable and can be used in the field.

More money but also more versatile are various USB
oscilloscope/generator conglomerations. For example:
http://www.syscompdesign.com

I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.

You're a bit late. Xsistors happened in the late 1960's.

Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

Price limit? Any specification limits? Need anything besides a
signal generator (pulse, sweep, white noise, portable, etc)? It's
difficult to be specific when your requirements are a bit vague.

What other gear is handy to have?

Sweep generator, white noise generator, pink noise generator, audio
spectrum analyzer, distortion analyzer, power supply, DVM, dummy
loads, soldering iron, sanity tester, coffee maker, billing software,
etc.

I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Ok, that's a start. Add a tube caddy to the above list. It really
impresses customers over 60 years old. (Yes, I have one).

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Dunno. I never RTFM or Google for info until after I get into
trouble.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 16, 11:22*pm, Chris Tansit wrote:
Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?
I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.
Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

What other gear is handy to have?
I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Any good resources on the web? *Books etc I should be reading?

Thanks
CT

There are battery powered versions.

There are dedicated instrument packages.

I started using my PC's Sound Card. It was free. Gave me total
control of what was produced and produced the lowest distrotion I've
ever seen.

Then I started using the sound card as a 'scope' and then as a
spectrum analyzer.

So now I have a two channel input high quality spectrum analyzer with
two channel tracking generator outputs!

You want to test the quality of your amplifier? Best system for it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
Then I started using the sound card as a 'scope' and then as a
spectrum analyzer.

So now I have a two channel input high quality spectrum analyzer with
two channel tracking generator outputs!

Ya wanna give us a hint as to who's software you're using?

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Jeffrey D. Asshole"

But these are so much nicer to keep the shop warm with. ;-)

Why don't you go drop dead- asshole ??

.... Phil

Come back when your meds kick it.
"Flame all you want, I'll make more"

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 17, 11:38*am, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
Then I started using the sound card as a 'scope' and then as a
spectrum analyzer.

So now I have a two channel input high quality spectrum analyzer with
two channel tracking generator outputs!

Ya wanna give us a hint as to who's software you're using?

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

Much software came on CD with the soundcard, but did not do exactly
what I wanted
I think everything you need is free and available at sourceforge under
gnu license.
There may be other free, or low cost, utility software out there,
don't know

Basically, you need software to talk to the soundcard and software to
manipulate what you want to do.

To talk to the soundcard, I used the soundcard's 'built-in' ASIO
drivers and used ASIO SDK from Steinberg. To write custom C programs,
I used free MS command line C compiler. For FFT, I used the free
'fastest FFT in the west' called fftw

http://www.steinberg.net
asiosdk2.2.zip

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
Basically, you need software to talk to the soundcard and software to
manipulate what you want to do.

Thanks Robert

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

RF signal generator PLL sperelat Electronics Repair 2 September 13th 07 04:27 AM
signal generator to frequency counter signal tap Bob in Phx Electronics 0 December 5th 05 04:30 AM
Sony KV-20XBR, no R audio with signal Leam Electronics Repair 2 September 11th 05 08:32 PM
signal generator oreo123 Home Repair 6 April 21st 05 03:09 PM
B&K E-200D signal generator - no signal Mike Electronics Repair 11 March 24th 05 09:24 PM