Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

Default What signal generator for audio work?

On 4/17/2010 2:22 AM, Chris Tansit wrote:
Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?
I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.
Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

What other gear is handy to have?
I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Thanks
CT

For general use, I use a Heathkit IG-5218 (also available in a
different color as the IG-18, which is a bit older) This unit has
stepped frequency selection and an output meter. Really easy to work on
if it needs it. Likely available on e-bay or at hamfests for under $50.
I've seen filthy ones as low as $10. Of course the build quality of
the kit is a factor.

There are also lots of mods possible to make them lower distortion, but
some of the mods reduce the stability and make the settling time when
changing frequencies annoying at best, and damaging at worst. Also, the
unit is low enough in distortion for general use as is. If you don't
have or need a distortion analyzer, they are pointless.

That said, there a lots of good choices.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

P.S. Here's one on e-bay now: