Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What signal generator for audio work?

On 17 Apr 2010 06:22:06 GMT, Chris Tansit wrote:

Can someone please recommend a signal gen for audio work?

A computah, of course. Get a 96KHz 24 bit sound card and some
softwa
http://www.sillanumsoft.org/prod01.htm (see sig gen feature)
There are plenty of others, including some that I use on my iPod
Touch. (I need 2 tones, with very low intermod products, for testing
SSB and ACSSB radios). The nice thing about the laptop or iPod Touch
approach is that it's portable and can be used in the field.

More money but also more versatile are various USB
oscilloscope/generator conglomerations. For example:
http://www.syscompdesign.com

I want to get into solid state and tube/valve amp repair.

You're a bit late. Xsistors happened in the late 1960's.

Feel free to suggest a brands/models etc.

Price limit? Any specification limits? Need anything besides a
signal generator (pulse, sweep, white noise, portable, etc)? It's
difficult to be specific when your requirements are a bit vague.

What other gear is handy to have?

Sweep generator, white noise generator, pink noise generator, audio
spectrum analyzer, distortion analyzer, power supply, DVM, dummy
loads, soldering iron, sanity tester, coffee maker, billing software,
etc.

I have a scope and a DC PSU.

Ok, that's a start. Add a tube caddy to the above list. It really
impresses customers over 60 years old. (Yes, I have one).

Any good resources on the web? Books etc I should be reading?

Dunno. I never RTFM or Google for info until after I get into
trouble.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D