Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default reliability of Pioneer plasma sets

The Pioneer runs surprisingly cool. And it's well-ventilated.

That's an encouraging sign.

I was accustomed to standing close to plasma displays and feeling the heat
come off them (on the back of my hand, anyway). The Pioneer had to run
several hours to get noticeably warm, and it wasn't nearly as warm as other
sets.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 02:47:21 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Dream on. The efficiency police are active in Europe:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/3174452/Traditional-lightbulbs-banned-by-EU.html

Yes Jeff, I'm fully aware of all this eco-bollox nonsense with
incandescents, but as far as I am aware, it doesn't affect halogens for
which there are no direct replacements, at this point in time. The G9
bulb
is about the size of a projector lamp or small headlamp bulb, and nothing
else would fit in a socket intended for one. Many many ceiling light
fittings this side of the pond are now 'decorative' design pieces as well
as
being functional, and these invariably use bulbs like the G9 or similar
pea
types in a halogen format, so unless they are going to render everyone's
modern light fittings obsolete, including ones that are on sale right
now, I
can't see how they can ban this type of bulb.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/422...gislation.html

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...ed-from-eu.php

Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder if this has had any bearing on Pioneer's
decision to quit the plasma market totally ? It is also interesting that the
article cites LCD's as being much more energy efficient. Well yes, they are
more efficient than plasmas, but nothing like as efficient as CRT sets had
become. The backlighting of even a fairly modest sized LCD amounts to 80
watts or so on its own, without the power consumed by the rest of the set. A
large screen LCD uses over 100 watts to power just the backlights ...

Perhaps this latest bit of green-mist legislation in the making, will
finally kick start the involved parties into sorting out the legal wrangles
to allow the truly efficient and superior display quality SED technology to
gain a foothold as the de facto replacement for plasma.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

I know what you mean. I think that the older you get, the less inclined you
become to actually getting off your arse and doing these things ... I have a
graphic LCD panel sitting here on the table by the side of me. There is a
board that I built hooked to it, and I have a proper professional IDE /
compiler installed on the computer. I found some routines on the net,
imported them to the IDE and compiled them and loaded them up to the PIC. It
sort of worked, but there is some issue with there being both a vertical and
a horizontal 'echo'. Could be hardware. Could be software. And there it has
sat for at least 2 years. I was really enthusiastic when I started on the
project. Now, I can't even be fagged to look a bit deeper into the routines,
to see if I can write a simple diagnostic to prove out the hardware. Very
sad really. Actually, all I want to do right now, is jet off to sunny
Florida, on holiday ... :-)

Its supposed to rain most of the week.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Bright sunshine here at the moment, but I'd still rather be out your way !
Had a severe weather warning on my Weather Channel desktop for Orlando
Airport yesterday. Very heavy thunder and hail I think it said. Been a while
since I saw a good storm. We're gonna try and get out some time in May.
Based on previous visits at that sort of time, should be quite nice then ??

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

Bright sunshine here at the moment, but I'd still rather be out your way !
Had a severe weather warning on my Weather Channel desktop for Orlando
Airport yesterday. Very heavy thunder and hail I think it said. Been a while
since I saw a good storm. We're gonna try and get out some time in May.
Based on previous visits at that sort of time, should be quite nice then ??

With Florida you never know. Central Florida is under another severe
storm watch tonight.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!