Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default reliability of Pioneer plasma sets

"Ken" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 02:47:21 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Dream on. The efficiency police are active in Europe:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/3174452/Traditional-lightbulbs-banned-by-EU.html

Yes Jeff, I'm fully aware of all this eco-bollox nonsense with
incandescents, but as far as I am aware, it doesn't affect halogens for
which there are no direct replacements, at this point in time. The G9
bulb
is about the size of a projector lamp or small headlamp bulb, and nothing
else would fit in a socket intended for one. Many many ceiling light
fittings this side of the pond are now 'decorative' design pieces as well
as
being functional, and these invariably use bulbs like the G9 or similar
pea
types in a halogen format, so unless they are going to render everyone's
modern light fittings obsolete, including ones that are on sale right
now, I
can't see how they can ban this type of bulb.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/422...gislation.html

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...ed-from-eu.php

Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder if this has had any bearing on Pioneer's
decision to quit the plasma market totally ? It is also interesting that the
article cites LCD's as being much more energy efficient. Well yes, they are
more efficient than plasmas, but nothing like as efficient as CRT sets had
become. The backlighting of even a fairly modest sized LCD amounts to 80
watts or so on its own, without the power consumed by the rest of the set. A
large screen LCD uses over 100 watts to power just the backlights ...

Perhaps this latest bit of green-mist legislation in the making, will
finally kick start the involved parties into sorting out the legal wrangles
to allow the truly efficient and superior display quality SED technology to
gain a foothold as the de facto replacement for plasma.

Arfa