Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Black&Decker toast R oven won't get hot

I have one of those TRO962 toaster ovens in beige which wont start:
The light goes on but it doesnt heat up on the oven setting. Also
there is no model number sticker on it.

I also have an old dirty unit which looks identical but in stainless
steel which does work.

Can there be anything obvious which is preventing the newer one from
working which might let me take a part off the old one please? There
are 4 elements in it so I presume it isnt the elements which need
changing. Is there some type of relay which controls all these
elements please?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"DManzaluni" wrote in message
I have one of those TRO962 toaster ovens in beige which wont start:
The light goes on but it doesnt heat up on the oven setting. Also
there is no model number sticker on it.

I also have an old dirty unit which looks identical but in stainless
steel which does work.

Can there be anything obvious which is preventing the newer one from
working which might let me take a part off the old one please? There
are 4 elements in it so I presume it isnt the elements which need
changing. Is there some type of relay which controls all these
elements please?

Built in timer ? The oven temperature thermostat ? Oven function switch ?
Should be a breeze to find the problem with nothing more than a multimeter.
Even a neon-test screwdriver, at a pinch ...

Arfa

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

DManzaluni wrote:
I have one of those TRO962 toaster ovens in beige which wont start:
The light goes on but it doesnt heat up on the oven setting. Also
there is no model number sticker on it.

I also have an old dirty unit which looks identical but in stainless
steel which does work.

Can there be anything obvious which is preventing the newer one from
working which might let me take a part off the old one please? There
are 4 elements in it so I presume it isnt the elements which need
changing. Is there some type of relay which controls all these
elements please?

Don't jack with it. Call Black & Decker. They'll probably replace it free of
charge - if you bought it within the last year (wink-wink).

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

This is arguably THE classic toaster-oven. It's undergone several cosmetic
changes over the past 30+ years. My first one -- a GE -- lasted 10 years.
The second -- a Bondage & Discipline -- lasted more than 20, until the
solenoid jammed and would not release the AC line. Had that not happened,
the unit would be close to celebrating its 21st year of existence.

That was two months ago. After reading multiple consumer Web reviews of
toasters from a variety of manufacturers, the consensus being that /all/
toasters are junk, regardless of price or manufacturer, I replaced it with a
$30 B&D TRO490W, which appears to be sold only at Target.

As for yours... This isn't a complex device. Remove the right panel, and
look for loose or broken connections. Most of the joints are welded, so you
might have some trouble restoring the broken one. When you replace the
cover, be sure nothing touches the metal panel.

PS: B&D is one of many brands owned by Fox International, a major parts
distributor in the US. Whether this means they're motivated to make highly
reliable products, or the opposite, I don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:01:51 -0800 (PST), DManzaluni
wrote:

I have one of those TRO962 toaster ovens in beige which wont start:
The light goes on but it doesnt heat up on the oven setting. Also
there is no model number sticker on it.

I also have an old dirty unit which looks identical but in stainless
steel which does work.

Can there be anything obvious which is preventing the newer one from
working which might let me take a part off the old one please? There
are 4 elements in it so I presume it isnt the elements which need
changing. Is there some type of relay which controls all these
elements please?

Look for an 'over temperature' thermostat which would be in series
with the element. A few checks with an ohm meter will isolate the
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 04:58:14 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

This is arguably THE classic toaster-oven. It's undergone several cosmetic
changes over the past 30+ years. My first one -- a GE -- lasted 10 years.
The second -- a Bondage & Discipline --

Since you bring this up, I'll tell you all a story. My best friend
lived in Harrisburg Pa. I was living in NYC and I hadn't seen him for
a couple years. When I went to visit, he told me he was engaged, and
he met his fiancee at an S M party. Determine to like my friend's
fiancee no matter what, I casually asked, Sado-Masochism?

No, he said, Singles Mingles.

lasted more than 20, until the
solenoid jammed and would not release the AC line. Had that not happened,
the unit would be close to celebrating its 21st year of existence.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

This is arguably THE classic toaster-oven.

Agree. I even silver-soldered new Calrods into mine once.
But the new ones they make are just junk.

One reviewer -- who claimed to be an EE -- excoriated his year-old $150
Krups. Seems that one of the wires burned loose from its connection. He had
difficulty fixing it.

Had I seen good reviews of /any/ brand of "expensive" toaster (ie, $50), I
would probably have bought one. But I couldn't find any. So I bought a $30
unit. Heck, if it's made in China, it shouldn't cost any more.

There are two disappointing things about this unit. One is the change from a
bimetallic strip to a timer to set the toast darkness. (Almost all toasters,
regardless of price, have switched to this system, which makes getting
consistent darkness over multiple cycles difficult.) The other is that
opening the door doesn't shut off the current! This is a major
inconvenience -- and possible safety problem -- when I have to prematurely
terminate the toast cycle.

PS: You can clean Calrod units very nicely by dunking them in a strong
solution of citrus-based industrial cleaner and water. It really strips off
the shmutz, stuff you'd never believe would come loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 14, 7:58*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that: I took the cover off and there didnt seem to be much
wrong inthere or many bad connections

SPrayed with WD40 and jiggered a few connections and it SEEMS to have
worked: The elements seem to start up now!
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Which would tell me that one of the connections is loose. Probably
one of the rivets. Try pinching the rivets, and look for one that
looks like it got hot.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Sprayed with WD40 and jiggered a few connections and it
SEEMS to have worked: The elements seem to start up now!

WHAT did you spray with WD40? You don't just go into an electrical device
and squirt it with something that generally isn't USED in electrical
devices.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 16, 7:54*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Sprayed with WD40 and jiggered a few connections and it
SEEMS to have worked: The elements seem to start up now!

WHAT did you spray with WD40? You don't just go into an electrical device
and squirt it with something that generally isn't USED in electrical
devices.

Here's the scoop: I thought I had cleaned out the contacts and gave it
a quick 1 second spray with WD40 from a foot or so away. It was just
to clean (probably imperfectly) the points and so tiny an amount
actually got to the electronics that it has hardly made any difference

What it did do was to make the TOASTER part of it turn on and work!

Unfortunately for something which looks so simple inside, the oven,
curiously doesnt actually work at all! It may be something as simple
as the pot under the temp control but the parts dont look easily
interchangeable so I think I will junk the newer one and just go with
the one which works
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Unfortunately for something which looks so simple inside,
the oven, curiously doesn't actually work at all! It may be
something as simple as the pot under the temp control...

That seems likely. Maybe a cleaning will fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 16, 10:03*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Unfortunately for something which looks so simple inside,
the oven, curiously doesn't actually work at all! *It may be
something as simple as the pot under the temp control...

That seems likely. Maybe a cleaning will fix it.

Whenever I try that sort of thing, I ALWAYS find that it is both
inaccessable and sealed. I only ever waste time dismantling it!