Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Jimw Jimw is offline

Default Black&Decker toast R oven won't get hot

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:48:42 -0800 (PST), DManzaluni
wrote:

On Jan 14, 7:58*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
This is arguably THE classic toaster-oven. It's undergone several cosmetic
changes over the past 30+ years. My first one -- a GE -- lasted 10 years.
The second -- a Bondage & Discipline -- lasted more than 20, until the
solenoid jammed and would not release the AC line. Had that not happened,
the unit would be close to celebrating its 21st year of existence.

That was two months ago. After reading multiple consumer Web reviews of
toasters from a variety of manufacturers, the consensus being that /all/
toasters are junk, regardless of price or manufacturer, I replaced it with a
$30 B&D TRO490W, which appears to be sold only at Target.

As for yours... This isn't a complex device. Remove the right panel, and
look for loose or broken connections. Most of the joints are welded, so you
might have some trouble restoring the broken one. When you replace the
cover, be sure nothing touches the metal panel.

PS: B&D is one of many brands owned by Fox International, a major parts
distributor in the US. Whether this means they're motivated to make highly
reliable products, or the opposite, I don't know.

Thanks for that: I took the cover off and there didnt seem to be much
wrong inthere or many bad connections

SPrayed with WD40 and jiggered a few connections and it SEEMS to have
worked: The elements seem to start up now!

Which would tell me that one of the connections is loose. Probably
one of the rivets. Try pinching the rivets, and look for one that
looks like it got hot.