Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default (Off Topic) Electronics Magazines? What's out there?

Hello Group,

I've been wondering what electronics magazines are out there these days.
I know about Nuts'n'Volts and Circuit Cellar. And it seems that
Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronics Now, that I used
to read when I was in high school, have vanished. Is there anything
good out there these days besides the afore mentioned titles?

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Daniel Rudy" wrote in message

I've been wondering what electronics magazines are out there these
days. I know about Nuts'n'Volts and Circuit Cellar. And it seems that
Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronics Now, that
I used to read when I was in high school, have vanished. Is there
anything good out there these days besides the afore mentioned titles?

MAKE: is not, strictly speaking, an electronics magazine, but it has
electronics projects. You should be warned that its editors have little real
technical knowledge and refuse to acknowledge or correct errors.

Heck, I'm old enough to remember "Electronics World" -- and I still miss it.
It was the only general-circulation electronics magazine that could arguably
be said to be aimed at professionals. (There was also "Electronics", which
was before my time.)

The decline of electronics magazines seems to have been caused by the
falling interest in electronics as a hobby, and by the decline of the US as
a major manufacturer of electronic products. The fact that most electronic
products have become so complex (and cheap to manufacture overseas) that you
can no longer buy kits (Heath, Allied, Lafayette) doesn't help, either.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
The decline of electronics magazines seems to have been caused by the
falling interest in electronics as a hobby, and by the decline of the US as
a major manufacturer of electronic products. The fact that most electronic
products have become so complex (and cheap to manufacture overseas) that you
can no longer buy kits (Heath, Allied, Lafayette) doesn't help, either.

The thing that made Heathkit possible was the large surplus of WWII
electronic components that were obsolete by the time of the Korean war,
but still very useable. Vaccum tube technology lasted in general
electronics well into the 1970's, and discrete components well into
the 1990s.

Now if you want to build something that is not SMT, you have to find old
components, many of which are no longer useable, or have them made for
you because the companies that make current production electronics don't
use them.

Occasionaly I see a copy of Elektor Magazine, which used to be published
in Holland, and is now published in the U.K. The last magazine I saw
was pretty interesting, but all the projects were solder chips on a board
type of project. The days when radios were litterally made on a breadboard
and coils were bell wire wound on lollipop sticks are long gone.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:

snip

Heck, I'm old enough to remember "Electronics World" -- and I still miss it.
It was the only general-circulation electronics magazine that could arguably
be said to be aimed at professionals. (There was also "Electronics", which
was before my time.)

Oh come now! Surely you jest. Electronics Magazine (McGraw Hill) had a number
of relatively recent incarnations, and has been read by everyone who has ever
handled a slide rule.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"msg" wrote in message
ernet...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Heck, I'm old enough to remember "Electronics World" -- and I still miss

it.
It was the only general-circulation electronics magazine that could

arguably
be said to be aimed at professionals. (There was also "Electronics",

which
was before my time.)

Oh come now! Surely you jest. Electronics Magazine (McGraw Hill) had
a number of relatively recent incarnations, and has been read by everyone
who has ever handled a slide rule.

I have back issues from the late '40s and early '50s, but I don't remember
it as a young'un. (I'm 61.)

And please... Don't call me surely.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

Not so. I subscribe to Elektor, which is still published in Holland, as well
as the UK and several other countries as well. It has many subscribers from
the U.S. and also has very active help and discussion forums associated with
a website that is core to the whole magazine. Although a lot of the projects
use s.m. technology for their construction, this is a necessity because of
the cutting edge nature of the projects. Printed circuits are often made
available where component level construction is considered a viable option,
and ready made boards or sub assemblies, are usually made available by the
publishers, at very reasonable cost, when it's not.

Many of the projects that are published, however, are still built with
discrete through-hole components, and are often still all, or at least
partially, analogue. If you are looking for a good electronics magazine for
construction, news, cutting edge technology articles, and a world-wide
following and web community, then I would highly recommend Elektor. Go have
a look at their website

www.elektor.com

which will give you an idea what it's like.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Daniel Rudy wrote:

I've been wondering what electronics magazines are out there these days.
I know about Nuts'n'Volts and Circuit Cellar. And it seems that
Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronics Now, that I used
to read when I was in high school, have vanished.

Everyday Practical Electronics is good, and a web download
subscription is only $20 a year. www.epemag.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 02:40:05 -0700, Daniel Rudy
wrote:

I've been wondering what electronics magazines are out there these days.
I know about Nuts'n'Volts and Circuit Cellar. And it seems that
Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronics Now, that I used
to read when I was in high school, have vanished. Is there anything
good out there these days besides the afore mentioned titles?

Well, the industry has moved away from general purpose magazines and
into specialty niches. There are also a rather large number of trade
journals, which are too numerous to list. It would be helpful if you
specify what area of electonics you're interested in reading.

For entertainment, here are some of my magazine reading list with some
URL's:

Electronic Design http://electronicdesign.com/
EDN http://www.edn.com/
RF Design http://rfdesign.com/
MRT http://urgentcomm.com/
QST http://www.arrl.org/qst/
QEX http://www.arrl.org/qex/
Make http://makezine.com/
Machine Design http://machinedesign.com/
Home Power http://www.homepower.com/
Missing Critical http://www.rrmediagroup.com/
CED http://www.cedmagazine.com/
IEEE Spectrum http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/
Various IEEE publications and procedings.
etc...
and a mess of obscure tade journals covering CATV, wireless,
computahs, politix, etc. I get some 2nd hand from various employees.
My guess is about 50+ magazines per month.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:53:14 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I have back issues from the late '40s and early '50s, but I don't remember
it as a young'un. (I'm 61.)

I read Electronics Magazine religiously during the 1970's. It was
started by McGraw-Hill in the 1930's. It was bought by Penton
Publishing in the 1960's and disappeared in 1995.

I'm 60.8 and still use a slip stick:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/slide-rule/slides/slide-rule.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 02:40:05 -0700, Daniel Rudy
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've been wondering what electronics magazines are out there these days.
I know about Nuts'n'Volts and Circuit Cellar. And it seems that
Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronics Now, that I used
to read when I was in high school, have vanished. Is there anything
good out there these days besides the afore mentioned titles?

In Australia we still have Silicon Chip magazine:
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/

- Franc Zabkar