Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Blinking monitor

Nowadays i m facing a new problem. My PC's monitor blinks(it goe blank
and after a second the screen revives), this heppens atleast 3-4 times
an hour.
Can anyone help me out of this problem??
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Nowadays i m facing a new problem. My PC's monitor blinks(it goe blank
and after a second the screen revives), this heppens atleast 3-4 times
an hour.
Can anyone help me out of this problem??

Not enough info. CRT type monitor? or LCD type ? Power indicator goes out /
changes colour ? Can be got back by thumping the unit ? Suddenly started
happening ? Getting worse or staying the same ? Any physical sound when it
goes off / comes back ? Goes off / comes back on quickly, or fades up / down
? Picture is perfect as soon as it comes back ?

Most likely problem, if its a CRT type, is a bad joint, although it could be
the power supply starting and stopping. If an LCD, it could be that the
backlight inverter is intermittently stopping.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
Nowadays i m facing a new problem. My PC's monitor blinks(it goe blank
and after a second the screen revives), this heppens atleast 3-4 times
an hour.
Can anyone help me out of this problem??

Not enough info. CRT type monitor? or LCD type ? Power indicator goes out /
changes colour ? Can be got back by thumping the unit ? Suddenly started
happening ? Getting worse or staying the same ? Any physical sound when it
goes off / comes back ? Goes off / comes back on quickly, or fades up / down
? Picture is perfect as soon as it comes back ?

Most likely problem, if its a CRT type, is a bad joint, although it could be
the power supply starting and stopping. If an LCD, it could be that the
backlight inverter is intermittently stopping.

Arfa

FWIW, I have a 2 year old monitor in the garage that started flaking out
on the bottom bar and just needed a whap on the side would get it to
come back. I am suspecting a no lead ROHS solder causing a bad joint.
My 'old' 2000 Compaq CV715 may not have the latest features, but 'it'
still works and does a nice job of heating the room, good in the winter
but very bad in summers that often hit 110.
I would be suspect of anything newer than about 2 years because of the
'Tin whiskers' problem and crappy lead free joints.
Bill Baka
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 1, 6:53*pm, Bill wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

had the same .. started getting green screens and loss of video

The small square board located at the back of the tube, that
combines the tube socket is a good place to start looking for 'dry
solder joints' ..... close inspection with a eye glass will most
likely show them up ..... re solder and proceed to tap with insulated
'wand' while looking at the screen , you should be able to locate the
rough area ... re-solder and repeat till tube stop's flickering ....

G ..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Graham wrote:
had the same .. started getting green screens and loss of video

The small square board located at the back of the tube, that
combines the tube socket is a good place to start looking for 'dry
solder joints' ..... close inspection with a eye glass will most
likely show them up ..... re solder and proceed to tap with insulated
'wand' while looking at the screen , you should be able to locate the
rough area ... re-solder and repeat till tube stop's flickering ....

G ..

I agree with the initial approach of the CRT board, but that is not it,
since only the bottom 50 lines or so are affected, losing sync, so it is
probably on one of the main boards. In 1982 I tried the TV repair
business and opened a shop just about the time TV's became throw aways,
bad timing.
I have also been nailed by the 25,000 volts on the big screen sets, and
after being kicked across the room once I got real careful. If it isn't
a solder problem it may just be a thermally sensitive chip, and if it is
too much work I will take it to the local church and buy a new LCD
monitor for less heat.
Thanks though,
Bill Baka
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 1, 11:48*pm, Bill wrote:
Graham wrote:
[...]

I will take it to the local church .... lol what dose that say about
church people ?

mine had bands of lines , all sorts of odd things .. been running fine
since

still reckon you'll find it with a can of frezer , small tapping stick
and a eyeglass

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Graham wrote:
On Jul 1, 11:48 pm, Bill wrote:
I have also been nailed by the 25,000 volts on the big screen sets, and
after being kicked across the room once I got real careful. If it isn't
a solder problem it may just be a thermally sensitive chip, and if it is
too much work I will take it to the local church and buy a new LCD
monitor for less heat.
Thanks though,
Bill Baka

I will take it to the local church .... lol what dose that say about
church people ?

Yeah,
They will probably just put it in the dumpster.

mine had bands of lines , all sorts of odd things .. been running fine
since

still reckon you'll find it with a can of frezer , small tapping stick
and a eyeglass

You are most likely correct, a few hours and a working monitor.

Thanks,
Bill Baka