Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default blinking monitor

Hi,

Recently my monitor has started blinking off and then back on rapidly,
it happens variably, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes not in an
hour. The blinking is accompanied by an electric crackle and an odd
smell, which has me a little worried. the monitor is a gateway I bought
for 3 bucks on the side of the road last spring so I don't have a lot
invested, its just something I've never seen a monitor do before, I'm
curious. If anyone has an idea what's going on in there I'd be
interested to hear it.

Andrew

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

how hard would it be to replace? i.e. what tools would I need, how
likely am I to electrocute myself, etc. thanks for the response.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

how hard would it be to replace? i.e. what tools would I need, how
likely am I to electrocute myself, etc. thanks for the response.

Get another free one. You'll have zero success replacing the xformer.

http://freecycle.org/

or

http://www.craigslist.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wow, I never realized craigslist was so awesome, thanks for the links.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

also, for anyone interested the monitor just plain old died today,
flickered a bit and went out permenently. so get a new one before that
happens to you, or you'll have to go to the library like I did.

On Oct 20, 1:40 pm, "Homer J Simpson" wrote:
wrote in ooglegroups.com...

how hard would it be to replace? i.e. what tools would I need, how
likely am I to electrocute myself, etc. thanks for the response.Get another free one. You'll have zero success replacing the xformer.

http://freecycle.org/

or

http://www.craigslist.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

nucleus wrote:

high voltage transformer is defective

Not necessarily. I have a monitor here which does that since
several months, but the intervals grew larger and now it does
that only rarely.
I think it here perhaps is a high voltage foil capacitor with the
fault location burning out over time. Concening the HV transformer,
my gut feeling is that over the edge once is over the edge forever.

Regards,
H.