Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default mits hs-u790 vcr remote question

The Mits hsu790 vcr from the remote appears to be the type where one remote
can control two vcr's of that type (vcr-a vcr-b).

Problem is, how do you get one of them to use the "b" side?

I know some other makes you either need to hold a key down on the remote
while powering up the unit but this one I can't find any info on.

thanks,

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Bruce Esquibel wrote:

The Mits hsu790 vcr from the remote appears to be the type where one remote
can control two vcr's of that type (vcr-a vcr-b).

Problem is, how do you get one of them to use the "b" side?

I know some other makes you either need to hold a key down on the remote
while powering up the unit but this one I can't find any info on.

thanks,

-bruce

My remote for my old mitsubishi VCR had about two hundred buttons on it;
two of which selected A and B. I hate to ask, but are you sure you've
checked thoroughly for a hard key?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

My remote for my old mitsubishi VCR had about two hundred buttons on it;
two of which selected A and B. I hate to ask, but are you sure you've
checked thoroughly for a hard key?

Hmm, what I meant was, how do you set one of the vcr's to work on B from the
remote.

Just to clarify, two same model machines (hsu790), in the same room, let's
say stacked on top of each other. Right now if you hit the power button on
the remote, both turn on, if you hit play, both go into play mode.

How do you set the vcr (either one) only to operate after B is pressed?

I don't have access to the machines and they aren't mine, was a question
posed to me over the phone last night and after searching around, couldn't
find a (free) copy of the owners manual. The person who has the machines
doesn't have a copy either. Surprisingly, even Mits website seems to only go
back to 2002 (the machines are circa 1999) even selecting the "archived"
area.

Some of the early Sony's had a physical switch (on both the machine and
remote) to use the vcr2 or B side of the remote control. Then I remembered
one NEC or Toshiba I had used some method like with the machine off and
holding down the rec key on the remote while pressing the power button on
the machine switched it to use B settings.

He said he looked everywhere on the machine for a switch and there is none,
so I'm assuming there is some "wave it over your head and cluck like a
chicken" method that isn't obvious to get the vcr itself into the B mode.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bruce Esquibel" wrote in message ...
Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Make sure the VCR is plugged in, but turned off.

Find the record speed (SP/EP) button. It may be on the front
panel or hiding behind a small door. Press and hold this button
while you press REW on the VCR (if yours has a jog dial, turn
it counterclockwise).

You should see a large "b" display on the panel, indicating the
VCR will now respond to VCR-B commands.

You can set it back to "A" by using FF instead of REW in the
above steps.

To make the remote send VCR-B commands by default, make
sure the TV/VCR slide switch is set to VCR, then press TV/VCR
and the number "2" button simultaneously (use "1" to set it back
to VCR-A commands).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Guest wrote:

Make sure the VCR is plugged in, but turned off.

Find the record speed (SP/EP) button. It may be on the front
panel or hiding behind a small door. Press and hold this button
while you press REW on the VCR (if yours has a jog dial, turn
it counterclockwise).

Thanks for the info but this seems to be the reason he called me asking for
clues, the U790 appears to be one of the few machines Mits made that does
not have a sp/ep button on it.

When I called him back and read your post to him over the phone, he said he
was aware of the sp/ep + rew or ff sequence because another deck of his
(beleive it's a U795) works exactly like that.

On the U790, that button is replaced with a volume sound level pot for
recording.

But you still get credit for leading to the answer, after I read the part
about the display lighting up an A or B when changed, he sort of went silent
and said he'd call back in ten minutes.

Turns out when he was doing his trial-and-error prior to calling me the
first time, he did run across something that he thought was a display test
mode because "something lit up" but continued on playing with buttons.

Anyway, long story short, on the U790 the OTR (one touch record) and the jog
wheel to rew or ff changes the remote listening from a to b. So he's all
happy now.

thanks,

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Guest wrote:

[...]

You're welcome, and thanks for posting this info for the U790.
Hopefully one for Google's usenet archive.

Question regarding a Panasonic Remote. N.J. Crane Home Repair 2 June 17th 07 10:19 PM
Remote control question SBFan2000 Electronics 33 December 8th 06 10:33 PM
Mits Remote Asimov Electronics Repair 3 December 2nd 05 12:42 AM
Generic TV remote question. PaPaPeng Electronics Repair 4 September 18th 04 01:21 AM
Universal Remote question Mike Bales Home Repair 2 June 26th 03 06:40 PM