Old February 4th 08, 10:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Auto Antenna

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far. Antenna
will
not help.

ONLY AM, SHORTWAVE, SSB, and MICROWAVE. The 2 Meter can go far because
of
the repeater station, but that's a different story.

It's not the way the transmitters are designed, it is the behavior of the
earth and its atmosphere at those frequencies. The transmitters are
actually very powerful.

If your logic is true then why FM cannot defeat other modulation? Assuming
they all have equal RF wattages?

FYI - You preaching to the guy who built Powerful RF transmitters, minimum
5Kw.

Old February 4th 08, 11:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"Jakthehammer" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far. Antenna
will
not help.

ONLY AM, SHORTWAVE, SSB, and MICROWAVE. The 2 Meter can go far because
of
the repeater station, but that's a different story.

It's not the way the transmitters are designed, it is the behavior of the
earth and its atmosphere at those frequencies. The transmitters are
actually very powerful.

If your logic is true then why FM cannot defeat other modulation?
Assuming
they all have equal RF wattages?

You're not expressing yourself very clearly. "FM" is both a modulation
technique and (in much of the world) a broadcast frequency band.
Propagation is largely a matter of frequency. It is true that FM does not
perform as well with weak signals as AM, which in turn is not as good as
SSB.

Old February 4th 08, 11:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

Note that you could experiment with a vertical antenna without drilling into
the car. Get a magnet-mount ham radio antenna and change the whip so it is
30 inches long. Of course, you will still have to gain access to the
antenna connector on the radio -- which is probably not hard; most newer car
radios pull out forward if you use the appropriate special tools to unlock
them.

Old February 8th 08, 05:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jakthehammer wrote:

By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far.

Idiot. It's obvious that you have never worked in broadcast. C-band
TV transponders are about 10 watts at 4 GHz, and the 20 MHz wide FM
signal travels over 11,000 miles from the bird to the receiving antenna.

A local UHF station's tower is in Orange City, Florida. We received
a reception report from the Dallas / Ft. Worth area from a man who
watched our station for over six hours one evening.

I know that this isn't normal reception, and was at a time of high
sunspot activity, but the point is that you can't make blank,
meaningless statements like: "By design FM transmitters are not designed
to go very far."

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old February 8th 08, 05:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jakthehammer wrote:

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far. Antenna
will
not help.

ONLY AM, SHORTWAVE, SSB, and MICROWAVE. The 2 Meter can go far because
of
the repeater station, but that's a different story.

It's not the way the transmitters are designed, it is the behavior of the
earth and its atmosphere at those frequencies. The transmitters are
actually very powerful.

If your logic is true then why FM cannot defeat other modulation? Assuming
they all have equal RF wattages?

What the hell is "FM cannot defeat other modulation" supposed to
mean? Do you have ANY idea about capture effect, quieting, receiver
desensing, or other real world problems that affect clear reception on a
car radio? A local TV station on Channel six can desese the low end of
the FM band. Other high level noise sources can wipe out most, or all
of the FM band.

FYI - You preaching to the guy who built Powerful RF transmitters, minimum
5Kw.

You think 5 KW is powerful? You say absolutely NOTHING about the
application, the tower height, antenna type, feedline loss, or a hundred
other details. Try building a 5 MW EIRP UHF TV station with a 1749 foot
AAT antenna. Or even a 1.3 MW EIRP UHF TV station on a 300 ft tower.

BTW, that 1749 foot AAT TV tower also had five of the Orlando FM
stations at the site, fed to a curtain antenna at 1200 feet AAT. The
combiner had three more ports for either standby transmitters, or to add
more stations.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old February 9th 08, 07:29 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 4, 1:45 am, "Paul Del Priore"
wrote:
I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I like
to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of vehicle.
I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip antenna?

Paul

All of you missed the point. Just buy an American car. One of the
best things we can do to help our economy & our country. And if you
are going to tell me that many American cars are built in another
country, you don't understand the bigger picture of the economics.