Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Auto Antenna

Jakthehammer wrote:

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far. Antenna
will
not help.

ONLY AM, SHORTWAVE, SSB, and MICROWAVE. The 2 Meter can go far because
of
the repeater station, but that's a different story.

It's not the way the transmitters are designed, it is the behavior of the
earth and its atmosphere at those frequencies. The transmitters are
actually very powerful.

If your logic is true then why FM cannot defeat other modulation? Assuming
they all have equal RF wattages?

What the hell is "FM cannot defeat other modulation" supposed to
mean? Do you have ANY idea about capture effect, quieting, receiver
desensing, or other real world problems that affect clear reception on a
car radio? A local TV station on Channel six can desese the low end of
the FM band. Other high level noise sources can wipe out most, or all
of the FM band.

FYI - You preaching to the guy who built Powerful RF transmitters, minimum
5Kw.

You think 5 KW is powerful? You say absolutely NOTHING about the
application, the tower height, antenna type, feedline loss, or a hundred
other details. Try building a 5 MW EIRP UHF TV station with a 1749 foot
AAT antenna. Or even a 1.3 MW EIRP UHF TV station on a 300 ft tower.

BTW, that 1749 foot AAT TV tower also had five of the Orlando FM
stations at the site, fed to a curtain antenna at 1200 feet AAT. The
combiner had three more ports for either standby transmitters, or to add
more stations.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell