Old February 4th 08, 07:45 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Auto Antenna

I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I like
to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of vehicle.
I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip antenna?

Paul

Old February 4th 08, 09:34 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 01:45:53 -0500, "Paul Del Priore"
wrote:

:I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I like
:to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of vehicle.
:I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip antenna?
:
:Paul
:

Not necessarily. Will depend on transmitted FM power, distance from Tx, and
intervening terrain between Tx and Rx antenna.

How far is "quite a distance"?
Old February 4th 08, 11:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

:I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I
like
:to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of
vehicle.
:I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip antenna?
:
:Paul
:

Not necessarily. Will depend on transmitted FM power, distance from Tx,
and
intervening terrain between Tx and Rx antenna.

How far is "quite a distance"?

By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far. Antenna will
not help.

ONLY AM, SHORTWAVE, SSB, and MICROWAVE. The 2 Meter can go far because of
the repeater station, but that's a different story.

Yak...

Old February 4th 08, 03:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"Paul Del Priore" wrote in message
I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I
like to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of
vehicle. I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip
antenna?

Probably, but you may also have a defective radio. If an FM radio loses one
or two transistors, often the only symptom is a loss of sensitivity.
Compare to another car radio in the same location tuned to the same
stations.

How far away are your stations? FM signals travel in straight line-of-sight
paths -- there is no ground wave as with AM, nor ionospheric reflection. 50
miles is about the limit.

Old February 4th 08, 03:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far. Antenna will
not help.

ONLY AM, SHORTWAVE, SSB, and MICROWAVE. The 2 Meter can go far because
of
the repeater station, but that's a different story.

It's not the way the transmitters are designed, it is the behavior of the
earth and its atmosphere at those frequencies. The transmitters are
actually very powerful.

For broadcasting, limited, predictable range is a good thing because it
allows another station to be on the same frequency 100 or 150 miles away
without interfering with it.

Microwaves are even worse -- they travel only in a straight line -- which is
why microwave towers are tall and have antennas aimed directly at each
other. But in that situation the transmitters don't have to be very
powerful.

Old February 4th 08, 07:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Paul Del Priore wrote:
I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I like
to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of vehicle.
I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip antenna?

Paul

Although I'm not suggesting you cut holes in your new Lexus, when
windshield antennas first came out in the 70's, I made a good bit of
money replacing them with whips. They may have improved since, but back
then, there was always a significant improvement in reception.

Comments in the thread about checking the existing antenna is
well-advised, however.

jak
Old February 4th 08, 08:12 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Paul Del Priore wrote:
I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I
like to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction
of vehicle. I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a
whip antenna?

Yes. But a fixed roof mounted one is the ideal - uses the roof as a ground
plane.

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 4th 08, 09:54 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jak,
I did have Lexus check out the system and they claim it is "working as
designed". Since a whip is omnidirectional and the windshield antenna is
directional at least car direction would not cause reception problems. From
your experience it would seem that the gain of the whip is as good or better
than the windshield type. Would you agree with that?

Paul

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Old February 4th 08, 10:13 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Paul Del Priore" wrote:
Jak,
I did have Lexus check out the system and they claim it is "working as
designed". Since a whip is omnidirectional and the windshield antenna is
directional at least car direction would not cause reception problems. From
your experience it would seem that the gain of the whip is as good or better
than the windshield type. Would you agree with that?

Paul

Whips are omni but are rarely placed on an unobstructed surface. Verticals
have more noise than a horzontal. Vertical placed in the center of the roof would be best, about
29 inches long.

greg

Old February 4th 08, 10:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

:I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I
like
:to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of
vehicle.
:I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip antenna?
:
:Paul
:

Not necessarily. Will depend on transmitted FM power, distance from Tx,
and
intervening terrain between Tx and Rx antenna.

How far is "quite a distance"?

By design FM transmitters are not designed to go very far. Antenna will
not help.

ONLY AM, SHORTWAVE, SSB, and MICROWAVE. The 2 Meter can go far because of
the repeater station, but that's a different story.

Yak...

Total BS.

Please disregard this guy.