Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Auto Antenna

In article , "Paul Del Priore" wrote:
Jak,
I did have Lexus check out the system and they claim it is "working as
designed". Since a whip is omnidirectional and the windshield antenna is
directional at least car direction would not cause reception problems. From
your experience it would seem that the gain of the whip is as good or better
than the windshield type. Would you agree with that?

Paul

Whips are omni but are rarely placed on an unobstructed surface. Verticals
have more noise than a horzontal. Vertical placed in the center of the roof would be best, about
29 inches long.

greg

"jakdedert" wrote in message
Paul Del Priore wrote:
I have a new Lexus 400h and live a distance away from the FM stations I
like to listen to. Reception is very poor very dependent on direction of
vehicle. I blame the window antenna. Would I be better off with a whip
antenna?

Paul

Although I'm not suggesting you cut holes in your new Lexus, when
windshield antennas first came out in the 70's, I made a good bit of money
replacing them with whips. They may have improved since, but back then,
there was always a significant improvement in reception.

Comments in the thread about checking the existing antenna is
well-advised, however.

jak