Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Programming a remote

I have a symphonic television (don't know the age of this but seems
relatively newer) without a remote control. I have an rca universal
remote but the instructions I'm finding online are a little
confusing. I bought the remote new a while ago and never used it.
Now, how to program the remote to work with the Symphonic TV? One
step of the instructions I found says to press and hold the code
search button until the correct code is found but how do you know when
that is? Can anyone help me program this remote to work with this tv?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

tonita wrote:

I have a symphonic television (don't know the age of this but seems
relatively newer) without a remote control. I have an rca universal
remote but the instructions I'm finding online are a little
confusing. I bought the remote new a while ago and never used it.
Now, how to program the remote to work with the Symphonic TV? One
step of the instructions I found says to press and hold the code
search button until the correct code is found but how do you know when
that is? Can anyone help me program this remote to work with this tv?

The usual procedure is to follow the code search instructions for the
universal remote while pointing it at the set to be controlled and
waiting until the set power cycles. The code that worked is a
possible candidate for that set, but the code search should be continued
and all codes that power cycled the set should be noted. Try each
of these in turn (using the code setup procedure for the remote)
and exercise all of the remote's functions to see if they work with
the set. Often you will wind up with only basic functions working;
remedy is to find a replacement remote on the secondary market
(eBay, etc.).

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks, Michael. What do you mean "power cycle"? You mean when the
set goes off or on? Should I be seeing something on the screen? How
will I know what the codes are?

Thanks

On Jan 6, 1:01*pm, msg wrote:
tonita wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Symphonic used to be an American brand name. It was bought by a Japanese
firm whose name begins with an R, I think. (They were the first company with
an 8mm video system.)

Most universal remotes have a mode where you cycle through all the possible
codes, pressing the power button for each new code. When the TV turns on or
off, you've found the correct code.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

tonita wrote:

Thanks, Michael. What do you mean "power cycle"? You mean when the
set goes off or on? Should I be seeing something on the screen? How
will I know what the codes are?

Tonita,

The universal remote's code search function (usually) sends a 'power'
command to the set; this command will either power-on the set if it
is off or power-off the set if it is on. You need only watch to
see if it works (the set honors the command). When you find a code
or codes that work, make a note of them (usually a 3-digit number)
and try them using the programming procedure for the remote to see
how well they control the set. Pick the code that has the most
functionality with your set (it is often a compromise).

Regards,

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

And where will I see this code? When I follow the instructions for
the remote, I don't really know if it is working or not. I mean the
light goes on, then flickers for a second as it says it should, but
after that, nothing. I know I sound completely ignorant (I suppose I
am) with this procedure, but it is quite frustrating.

On Jan 6, 6:47*pm, msg wrote:
tonita wrote:
Thanks, Michael. *What do you mean "power cycle"? *You mean when the
set goes off or on? *Should I be seeing something on the screen? *How
will I know what the codes are?

Tonita,

The universal remote's code search function (usually) sends a 'power'
command to the set; this command will either power-on the set if it
is off or power-off the set if it is on. *You need only watch to
see if it works (the set honors the command). *When you find a code
or codes that work, make a note of them (usually a 3-digit number)
and try them using the programming procedure for the remote to see
how well they control the set. *Pick the code that has the most
functionality with your set (it is often a compromise).

Regards,

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

tonita wrote:

And where will I see this code? When I follow the instructions for
the remote, I don't really know if it is working or not. I mean the
light goes on, then flickers for a second as it says it should, but
after that, nothing. I know I sound completely ignorant (I suppose I
am) with this procedure, but it is quite frustrating.

snip

I have a booklet for an RCA universal remote in front of me; here is
what it says for the 'code search' procedu

1. Press and hold CODE SEARCH until the indicator light lights, then
release CODE SEARCH. The indicator light should remain lit.
2. Press and release the device button for the device being programmed,
e.g. TV; the indicator light should blink once and remain lit.
3. Point the remote control at the TV and repeatedly press the ON-OFF
button until the TV turns off (up to 200 times may be necessary).
4. When you find a code that works, press ENTER; the indicator light
will go off, and the code is stored.

You can retrieve this code's number as follows:

1. Press CODE SEARCH until the indicator light goes on.
2. Press TV, light blinks once.
3. Press CODE SEARCH, light goes off.
4. Press keypad numbers in order 0 - 9 while watching the light, when
it blinks, note that digit, then repeat, 0 - 9 for the remaining
digits.

Now you have a working code. You can repeat this entire procedure from
the top to get additional codes. This is for the RCU410WMS remote control
and the procedure may be different for your model.

Regards,

Michael