Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Programming a remote

tonita wrote:

And where will I see this code? When I follow the instructions for
the remote, I don't really know if it is working or not. I mean the
light goes on, then flickers for a second as it says it should, but
after that, nothing. I know I sound completely ignorant (I suppose I
am) with this procedure, but it is quite frustrating.

snip

I have a booklet for an RCA universal remote in front of me; here is
what it says for the 'code search' procedu

1. Press and hold CODE SEARCH until the indicator light lights, then
release CODE SEARCH. The indicator light should remain lit.
2. Press and release the device button for the device being programmed,
e.g. TV; the indicator light should blink once and remain lit.
3. Point the remote control at the TV and repeatedly press the ON-OFF
button until the TV turns off (up to 200 times may be necessary).
4. When you find a code that works, press ENTER; the indicator light
will go off, and the code is stored.

You can retrieve this code's number as follows:

1. Press CODE SEARCH until the indicator light goes on.
2. Press TV, light blinks once.
3. Press CODE SEARCH, light goes off.
4. Press keypad numbers in order 0 - 9 while watching the light, when
it blinks, note that digit, then repeat, 0 - 9 for the remaining
digits.

Now you have a working code. You can repeat this entire procedure from
the top to get additional codes. This is for the RCU410WMS remote control
and the procedure may be different for your model.

Regards,

Michael