Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default in UK, looking for little plug and socket connector

a very basic question...I lack electronics background.

I intentionally cut a wire. DC 5V and = 2A.

I want to add connectors to each end so that I can plug and unplug the
wire together.

a woman at the other end of the telephone line on rswww showed me a
mini din connector (I hate those). She said other connectors are AC
only. Anyhow, the one she showed me was only 1A anyway, so no use.

(the woman said she couldn't "recommend" anything, she isn't allowed
to. So I asked her for "an example of what I could get". That she
complied with!! - may be worth knowing if talking to rswww!)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26 Mar, 23:13, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

(the woman said she couldn't "recommend" anything, she isn't allowed
to. So I asked her for "an example of what I could get". That she
complied with!! - may be worth knowing if talking to rswww!)

RS Components are a trade supplier and wouldn't be expected to answer such
things over the phone. You might do better with Maplin if they still have
a technical advice department.

There are many different types of connectors that would satisfy your
requirement - the obvious one being a standard 2.5mm plug and socket. Mini
DIN connectors are principally designed for signal handling - not power.

So the stuff the rs woman said about everything other than mini din
being AC is bull? She also said that all the connectors they have
don't go as low as allowing 5V!

I did call maplin first. The guy said all they had was "chocolate
boxes". They'd work but they're large. He said they don't sell the
connectors outside of the boxes. And that the best place to ask is rs
components!

how about this?
Plastic 2.5mm Stereo Line Socket
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ocket&doy=27m3
FT93B

Plastic 2.5mm Stereo Plug
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...5 mm&doy=27m3
FJ85G

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article . com,
wrote:
RS Components are a trade supplier and wouldn't be expected to answer
such things over the phone. You might do better with Maplin if they
still have a technical advice department.

There are many different types of connectors that would satisfy your
requirement - the obvious one being a standard 2.5mm plug and socket.
Mini DIN connectors are principally designed for signal handling - not
power.

So the stuff the rs woman said about everything other than mini din
being AC is bull? She also said that all the connectors they have
don't go as low as allowing 5V!

The answer of a telephonist doing a search and not understanding specs,
I'd say. There's not a connector I know of that won't allow low volts.
Specs usually give maximum figures - not minimum.

I did call maplin first. The guy said all they had was "chocolate
boxes". They'd work but they're large. He said they don't sell the
connectors outside of the boxes. And that the best place to ask is rs
components!

Sad - at one time Maplin had quite reasonable tech help by phone.

how about this?
Plastic 2.5mm Stereo Line Socket

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...&doy=27m3FT93B

Plastic 2.5mm Stereo Plug

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...&doy=27m3FJ85G

You're on the right track but those are audio connectors. Look for the
same thing under *power* connectors. The sort you commonly get on wall
warts, etc. But they require soldering and are a bit fiddly to fit
properly.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 27 Mar, 09:30, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ria=connector%...

Plastic 2.5mm Stereo Plug

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ria=connector%...

You're on the right track but those are audio connectors. Look for the
same thing under *power* connectors. The sort you commonly get on wall
warts, etc. But they require soldering and are a bit fiddly to fit
properly.

--

The rs woman was on a technical line and introduced herself as such.
As was the maplin number.

I called maplin again and the guy was better.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y
DC Power Line Sockets
JK11

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y
DC Power Plugs
L48AY

He said they take up to 2A, and up to 24V though most people don't up
that amount of V on there.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 27 Mar, 15:46, "
wrote:
On 27 Mar, 09:30, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

The rs woman was on a technical line and introduced herself as such.
As was the maplin number.

good god. Any connector that is rated to 2A or more will do it.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26 Mar 2007 12:41:27 -0700, "
put finger to keyboard and composed:

a very basic question...I lack electronics background.

I intentionally cut a wire. DC 5V and = 2A.

I want to add connectors to each end so that I can plug and unplug the
wire together.

I'd use the 1-pin versions of these:

http://www.altronics.com.au/images/prod/H/H2310.gif
http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/ima...ucts/p5125.jpg