Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiator over plug socket - dangerous

We have recently had central heating fitted, and we needed one of the
radiators to be in the same place as an electrical wall socket which
was also recently fitted (we had the house rewired a few months back).

The plumber has placed one of the radiators over the top of the socket,
so when you look down the back of the radiator you can see the socket.
This obviously renders the socket useless, as you cant get anything
into it. It is a small room, however, and has another 2 sockets in it
so we are not worried about having 1 less socket in it.

However, we are slightly worried that the constant heat from the
radiator may damage the socket and cause a fire, as the socket is still
live. Anyone have any idea about whether this might be dangerous?
There are a few good cms betweem the radiator and the socket.

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have recently had central heating fitted, and we needed one of the
radiators to be in the same place as an electrical wall socket which
was also recently fitted (we had the house rewired a few months back).

The plumber has placed one of the radiators over the top of the socket,
so when you look down the back of the radiator you can see the socket.
This obviously renders the socket useless, as you cant get anything
into it. It is a small room, however, and has another 2 sockets in it
so we are not worried about having 1 less socket in it.

However, we are slightly worried that the constant heat from the
radiator may damage the socket and cause a fire, as the socket is still
live. Anyone have any idea about whether this might be dangerous?
There are a few good cms betweem the radiator and the socket.

Dave.

I am not an electrician, but I have the same situation in my house. I moved
a radiator from one wall to another in my kitchen. I did this when we moved
in, 8 years ago, with no problems so far. When I removed the radiator
thisummer to decorate, I took the socket plate off to have a look and
everything looked normal. I don't think the radiator will give off enough
heat to cause any problems, others may be able to advice you (and
me!!better.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
However, we are slightly worried that the constant heat from the
radiator may damage the socket and cause a fire, as the socket is still
live. Anyone have any idea about whether this might be dangerous?

Perfectly safe. The materials used for sockets can stand more heat than
even boiling water produces.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.