Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Plug & Socket HOT - Why?

It is possible that the internal contacts on the outlet are loose, or the
wires connecting the outlet are loose. Also possibly wires inside the plug
are frayed or otherwise not making good contact

"- Colonel -" wrote in message
OK, I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous, but this one has
me stumped.

Today I had an oil convection electric heater (1500W) turned on in the
bathroom to heat up the room before taking a shower, and when I unplugged
it, I noticed the prongs of the plug were HOT. Probably like 175°F
hot...almost too hot to touch. Then I put my hand on the socket and that
was hot, too.

Yet the cord to the heater wasn't even warm.

If the heater uses 1500W I assume that at 125V my load is about
12A...right?

It's an old house but the wiring is modern Romex.

Why would the prongs of the plug and the socket get so hot? Resistance in
the plug? (The plug APPEARS undamaged, and we always pull it out by
grabbing the plug, not the wire).

Should I put a new plug onto the cord?

Is it likely there was resistance or a bad connection in the socket?

Thanks for any clues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anytime I have installed an electrical outlet I make the connections by
screwing them down snugly. I have found that contractors tend to take
the fast way out which is to strip the wires and shove thm into the
back side of the outlet which may be fine 95$ of the time but when you
are drawing high amperage its better to have them screwed down.

--JE

Posted to alt.home.repair

There has to be more than normal resistance in the plug and/or the
outlet. I'd examine the plug for any problems. Then I'd try plugging
it in another outlet. If it works there without getting hot, I'd
investigate the outlet. Could possibly be corrosion, especially since
it's in the bathroom, or a loose connection at the outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
It is possible that the internal contacts on the outlet are loose, or the
wires connecting the outlet are loose. Also possibly wires inside the plug
are frayed or otherwise not making good contact

This is good advise. How tight does the outlet feel when plugging
unplugging stuff.

Also if the blades on the heater cord are the "folded" metal type as opposed
to solid you might try spreading them a bit for better contact.

Colbyt