Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Plug & Socket HOT - Why?

It is possible that the internal contacts on the outlet are loose, or the
wires connecting the outlet are loose. Also possibly wires inside the plug
are frayed or otherwise not making good contact

"- Colonel -" wrote in message
OK, I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous, but this one has
me stumped.

Today I had an oil convection electric heater (1500W) turned on in the
bathroom to heat up the room before taking a shower, and when I unplugged
it, I noticed the prongs of the plug were HOT. Probably like 175°F
hot...almost too hot to touch. Then I put my hand on the socket and that
was hot, too.

Yet the cord to the heater wasn't even warm.

If the heater uses 1500W I assume that at 125V my load is about
12A...right?

It's an old house but the wiring is modern Romex.

Why would the prongs of the plug and the socket get so hot? Resistance in
the plug? (The plug APPEARS undamaged, and we always pull it out by
grabbing the plug, not the wire).

Should I put a new plug onto the cord?

Is it likely there was resistance or a bad connection in the socket?

Thanks for any clues.