Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the expected lifetime for an electrolytic capacitor?

I'm wondering what the expected lifetime is for electrolytic
capacitors in recent years. I'm sure temperature and operating
voltage play a role.

The reason I'm asking is that I recently replaced the electrolytic
capacitors in the power supply of a 23-year-old Fluke signal generator
I own. One of them was "bulging" so I replaced all the large
electrolytics in the supply, and for good measure, the tantalum ones
as well. The supply voltages are now cleaner.

There are a number of other electrolytics on the various circuit
boards in the synthesizer. I've already replaced a few of them as a
precaution, e.g. 16V, 220uF caps across +/-15V supply lines. However,
all the others are operating well below there rated voltage, and I'm
wondering if it's worth replacing them while I have the synthesizer
apart.

-Dave