Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the expected lifetime for an electrolytic capacitor?

In article .com,
wrote:
I'm no fan of replacing good caps with other good caps that are just
as likely to fail, but if you've found bad caps in there then any
others the same make are probably best replaced.

On many consumer goods *all* the electrolytics are the same make. I'm not
in favour of the shotgun approach unless you are certain there were batch
etc problems at manufacture.

Coincidentally, I've just fixed four identical radio tuners all with the
same fault. They were installed in a hotel and were on 24/7 power, and all
failed within a short time of one another. The fifth one strangely still
works ok.

The fault was a 22µF 63v electrolytic which is in series with one
transformer winding and that rectifier followed by a voltage regulator.
Dunno why they used this rather strange - to me - arrangement. Three were
open circuit on my ESR meter - the fourth read 55 ohms. It took some
finding as the output from the (discrete) voltage reg circuit was 5 volts
instead of 30 and not being able to read the zener value without removal I
assumed 5 volts was the correct amount...

--
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.