Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the expected lifetime for an electrolytic capacitor?

On 22 Mar, 12:17, wrote:

I'm wondering what the expected lifetime is for electrolytic
capacitors in recent years. I'm sure temperature and operating
voltage play a role.

It varies hugely. Some have lives of thousands of hours, some of over
a century.

Ripple current also affects them.

Capacitors failng to do the job are often not down to bad caps, but
rather bad design with insufficient margins.

I'm no fan of replacing good caps with other good caps that are just
as likely to fail, but if you've found bad caps in there then any
others the same make are probably best replaced.

NT