Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default water damage to my friends digital camera

yea i was talking to my friend and her dog knocked her digital camera
into the dog bowl

what should she do to fix it b/c if she dont her mom will kill her
(i told her to get a blow dryer to it and dry to get everythang dry
but she said that its not working )
so if anyone could help me that would b great

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

First first first first--get the battery or batteries out of the camera!!
The sooner you do this, the better for everything involved.

Second--remove the memory card from the camera and look for any backup
batteries. Since it fell into a dog bowl, putting it into a bowl of clean
distilled water might be a very good idea to help flush any crud out of it.
You can't make things any worse at this point.

Third--Dry the camera as best you can. Then put it in a moderately sunny
place or somewhat near a heat vent. Let it rest for a few days.

Fourth--put the battery back in and you might get very lucky. If the camera
doesn't work at that point, you are probably out of luck. The key here is to
get the battery or power source removed as soon as it is possible to do so
safely.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
yea i was talking to my friend and her dog knocked her digital camera
into the dog bowl

what should she do to fix it b/c if she dont her mom will kill her
(i told her to get a blow dryer to it and dry to get everythang dry
but she said that its not working )
so if anyone could help me that would b great

Probably too late, get the batteries out of it asap. Corrosive damage to the
electronics begins almost immediately, and if the camera happens to be on at
the time, irreprarible damage occurs pretty quickly.
She'll probably end up buying her mom a new camera. Try the blow dryer, open
every door, compartment, etc. remove the mem card and blow warm air in for
several hours, not too hot, good luck.
I tried to save an old 3MPXL Kodak camera that was rained on. No good, all
kinds of corrosion on the boards, totally fubar . . .
Regards,
Tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
yea i was talking to my friend and her dog knocked her digital camera
into the dog bowl

what should she do to fix it b/c if she dont her mom will kill her
(i told her to get a blow dryer to it and dry to get everythang dry
but she said that its not working )
so if anyone could help me that would b great

Also, not to mention if water got inside the lens unit, then it's a goner
even if the electronics would still work.

JMK

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It wasn't the dog that borrowed the camera and got careless
with it.

contrex wrote:
wrote in messagenews:
yea i was talking to my friend and her dog knocked her digital camera
into the dog bowl

Logically her mom should kill the dog, not the friend. Some household
insurance policies cover damage of this type. You'd be surprised how
many remote controls get chewed by dogs.