Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

Default Instek Oscilloscopes

How are the Instek DSOs, in particular the "portables" like GDS-2064,
in comparison to comparable Tek 'scopes like the TDS2004B? Tek has
always had a good reputation, but the Instek is considerably cheaper.
Is it the name you're paying for, or are the Tektronix models really
that much better (reliability, performance, etc)?

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

john jardine wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message

How are the Instek DSOs, in particular the "portables" like GDS-2064,
in comparison to comparable Tek 'scopes like the TDS2004B? Tek has
always had a good reputation, but the Instek is considerably cheaper.
Is it the name you're paying for, or are the Tektronix models really
that much better (reliability, performance, etc)?

Don't know but I currently have the "pleasure" to use a newer low end
Tek scope (TDS220 or something like that) at a client. To say it mildly,
I am not enthused. The probes that came with it are a joke compared to
the Tek probes in my lab and the knobs and buttons feel loose and cheap.

Ok, I am a bit biased here because I don't like digital scopes much but
on this thing I am always afraid something will break off if I touch it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

(My thoughts as well. The TDS I recently tried to use had the look, feel
and build quality of a kid's toy. Must have cost 'em tuppence to
manufacture).

It also has a really sluggish frame rate. Can drive you nuts when
chasing noise. Bottomline I suggested to buy a "real" scope, maybe a
nicely refurbed Tektronix 2465. Something that works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

Joerg wrote:

It also has a really sluggish frame rate. Can drive you nuts when
chasing noise. Bottomline I suggested to buy a "real" scope, maybe a
nicely refurbed Tektronix 2465. Something that works.

My favorite scope.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
MRW MRW is offline

wrote:
How are the Instek DSOs, in particular the "portables" like GDS-2064,
in comparison to comparable Tek 'scopes like the TDS2004B?

In my opinion, they are not that bad. The Instek scope that I have is
the same price as a laptop, and it can also do image and video capture
like this:

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2e4b7kx

"The video shows the voltage spikes at the NO terminal of a CMOS SPDT
during switching transitions."

However, in terms of the waveform displays, I seem to prefer the
TDS3000B scopes that we have at school. The bad thing is that those do
not have USB connections and still rely on floppy discs.

The Instek scope that I have feels like a toy also, but I don't mind
its performance since it is just a starter scope. I am thinking of
getting an analog scope as soon as I can save up some money.... or
request more student aid. Hahaha.

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics

MRW wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I've been leaning towards the Instek. I don't like that it's twice as
thick as the Tek, but I also don't like the Tek's smaller memory.
Which model do you have? Is the frame rate very sluggish? How is the
responsiveness and feel of the knobs and switches?