Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default Instek Oscilloscopes

john jardine wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message

How are the Instek DSOs, in particular the "portables" like GDS-2064,
in comparison to comparable Tek 'scopes like the TDS2004B? Tek has
always had a good reputation, but the Instek is considerably cheaper.
Is it the name you're paying for, or are the Tektronix models really
that much better (reliability, performance, etc)?

Don't know but I currently have the "pleasure" to use a newer low end
Tek scope (TDS220 or something like that) at a client. To say it mildly,
I am not enthused. The probes that came with it are a joke compared to
the Tek probes in my lab and the knobs and buttons feel loose and cheap.

Ok, I am a bit biased here because I don't like digital scopes much but
on this thing I am always afraid something will break off if I touch it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

(My thoughts as well. The TDS I recently tried to use had the look, feel
and build quality of a kid's toy. Must have cost 'em tuppence to
manufacture).

It also has a really sluggish frame rate. Can drive you nuts when
chasing noise. Bottomline I suggested to buy a "real" scope, maybe a
nicely refurbed Tektronix 2465. Something that works.