Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default Cordless Fon Batt Amps

It seems darn near impossible to find the right battery for my cordless
phone. I have been able to find them under two bucks, but the same web link
lists like three separate amperages for the same battery. I recall something
about peak and mean amperages from ages ago, but might someone update me how
this applies to these kind of batteries. I don't suppose 3.6v .3-.9 amps is
the rating for batteries about to explode, but better to ask. (Although the
USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant ignoramuses most
of this new century, I wonder why I bother.)

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

wrote ...
It seems darn near impossible to find the right battery for my
cordless
phone. I have been able to find them under two bucks, but the same web
link
lists like three separate amperages for the same battery. I recall
something
about peak and mean amperages from ages ago, but might someone update
me how
this applies to these kind of batteries. I don't suppose 3.6v .3-.9
amps is
the rating for batteries about to explode, but better to ask.
(Although the
USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant
ignoramuses most
of this new century, I wonder why I bother.)

If you can get these to match perfectly...
1) Battery voltage
2) Mating connector (with correct +/- polarity)
3) Physical size fits

then I wouldn't worry about the capacity (amp-hours)

Intolerant ignoramus

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
It seems darn near impossible to find the right battery for my cordless
phone. I have been able to find them under two bucks, but the same web link
lists like three separate amperages for the same battery. I recall something
about peak and mean amperages from ages ago, but might someone update me how
this applies to these kind of batteries. I don't suppose 3.6v .3-.9 amps is
the rating for batteries about to explode, but better to ask. (Although the
USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant ignoramuses most
of this new century, I wonder why I bother.)

Buy any battery pack which has the same form factor (number/size of
cells--usually three AA-sized batteries), unsolder or cut off the
connector and replace with the connector on your old battery. Use good
soldering technique and insulate wires with heat shrink tubing. Observe
proper polarity.

Or...go to your local Batteries Plus store and have them do it for you;
since you probably don't have the requisite skills.

That's it, asshole.

Happy New Year.

jak

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:58:41 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

(Although the
USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant ignoramuses most
of this new century, I wonder why I bother.)

My offspring get timeouts for popping wise like that. You I can KF.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

terry wrote:
wrote:
It seems darn near impossible to find the right battery for my cordless
phone. I have been able to find them under two bucks, but the same web link
lists like three separate amperages for the same battery. I recall something
about peak and mean amperages from ages ago, but might someone update me how
this applies to these kind of batteries. I don't suppose 3.6v .3-.9 amps is
the rating for batteries about to explode, but better to ask. (Although the
USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant ignoramuses most
of this new century, I wonder why I bother.)

Isn't this just an example of an attitude of 'entitlement'?
We are a 'Plug and play' generation; pick it up, pay for it and plug it
in. No effort or thought required!
That is "One should just be able to go to a store or other source and
right there on the shelf there should be an up to date stock of every
single battery I might need or wish to buy"; no matter what or where or
how much I paid for my cordless phone, 'x' years ago.
Better too to ask a dumb question (one learns more from the many,
mostly helpful, people who inhabit these groups) than try to 'pretend'
one understands voltage, amperage and amp-hour capacities!
Seasons/New Years greetings to all.

No, it's more of a planned obsolescence thing. The various companies
use any number of different configurations of the very same thing, in
order to get us, the consumer, to buy it from them. That's as opposed
to buying it from someone else...or better yet, we can give up on
finding the exact same replacement part and simply buy a whole new
gadget for the lack of availability of a simple part.

I don't know how many perfectly good cordless phones I've bought from
thrift stores and yard sales. All they needed was a battery. I wonder
what minuscule percentage of the discarded, perfectly-functioning phones
this actually represents.

jak

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

*+-USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant ignoramuses most

I'm sorry, I got so much grief for my inkjet inquiry, I was defensive

Furthermore, a few months ago I asked about my fridge and all I got
was "how did you get stuck with a name like that?"

That's not how it was ten years ago.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the replies.

They make some "universal" connector batteries.

Basically the two jumper snap-ons are separated so they
only have to mate with the pin and not the entire connector.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

I don't suppose 3.6v .3-.9 amps is the rating for batteries about to
explode, but better to ask.

The primary concern here is not so much of the battery exploding, but what
the charging circuit is designed to put out. Too big of a battery may not
charge well. A small one will be ruined by overheating/overcharging and
there is even a faint risk of explosion. Any of these batteries have the
potential to at least get *really* hot if you short their output. Cell
damage is also likely if that happens.

If you still have your original battery, what does it say? Most batteries
are rated in mAH (milliampere-hours, hope that's spelled right!)

If you don't have the original battery, pick something in the middle. You
may be a little bit high or low, but the middle of the spectrum should be a
safe choice. Keep an eye on the battery and runtime at first. Some
experimentation may be required.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

[...]

Just get something the same size.

Most cordless phones I've seen (admittedly mostly second hand) use three
AA nicads. They may be packaged differently, or fit into a cartridge,
but underneath they're just standard sized AA's. Size matters. Most
battery compartments only fit just 'so much' battery. You're not going
to find one which will fit in the compartment, but which will be so
radically oversized that the OEM charger won't work.

jak

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

I have to admit when I saw my own words earlier I had a hard time
believing they were mine. It's possible I was being interrupted and
sent it off too soon. THe irony, is this was one of the times when
folks on the usenet have been the most helpful in a long time.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:20:20 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

*+-USENET seems to be inhabited by so many growling intolerant ignoramuses most

I'm sorry, I got so much grief for my inkjet inquiry, I was defensive

Furthermore, a few months ago I asked about my fridge and all I got
was "how did you get stuck with a name like that?"

That's not how it was ten years ago.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Well, if you are truly sorry, the first thing you might want to do is
get rid of your horribly offensive sig. It will irritate even when the
body of the post is not intended to. You may or may not believe all
that stuff, but I promise you nobody here needs or wants to know it.
Your name will suffice.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com