Default How many amps?

I'm trying to buy new programmable thermostats for my electic
baseboards.
Problem is, existing (mechanical Honeywell line) thermostats are rated
22amps but most of the programmable ones I see are rated around 16-20
amps.

Did someone just install some overkill thermostats or do I really need
ones rated at 22amps?

I tried researching heaters that I have but couldn't find any info.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to buy new programmable thermostats for my electic
baseboards.
Problem is, existing (mechanical Honeywell line) thermostats are rated
22amps but most of the programmable ones I see are rated around 16-20
amps.

Did someone just install some overkill thermostats or do I really need
ones rated at 22amps?

I tried researching heaters that I have but couldn't find any info.

How many watts are your heaters?
W ÷ V = A

PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to buy new programmable thermostats for my electic
baseboards.
Problem is, existing (mechanical Honeywell line) thermostats are rated
22amps but most of the programmable ones I see are rated around 16-20
amps.

Did someone just install some overkill thermostats or do I really need
ones rated at 22amps?

I tried researching heaters that I have but couldn't find any info.

If these thermostats actually switch the heater then you will need that much
current. Since most 110V AC branch circuits are rated for 20A max the
extra 2 amps is overhead.

If the thermostat switches a remote relay in the heater (as in most central
heating systems) then the extra current is way overkill as the thermostat is
most likly switching 12V and less than 1A

That I'm not sure.
It's an electric baseboard, the thermostat is a single pole, 240v. It's
pretty much just spliced into the line going to the heater.

Each baseboard has its own thermostat.

PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
That I'm not sure.
It's an electric baseboard, the thermostat is a single pole, 240v. It's
pretty much just spliced into the line going to the heater.

Each baseboard has its own thermostat.

Having a switch with a higher current rating is never a problem. There is
probably no difference in cost either. Since the heaters are directly
wired, and having 220V, 20A switch, you can have a heater up to 4800 watts.

Battery Amps Harry Collingwood Electronics Repair 23 May 18th 05 06:46 PM
Workshop Subpanel Amps DL Woodworking 29 April 19th 05 06:22 AM
2 circuit diagrams needed, audio amps [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 05 06:12 PM
Meaning Of 150 amp Service: At 115 V, Or At 220 V ? Robert11 Home Repair 23 January 24th 05 08:21 PM
Amps and Ohms and Volts? Bill Never Electronics Repair 8 November 27th 03 12:13 AM