Robert11

Default Meaning Of 150 amp Service: At 115 V, Or At 220 V ?

Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V,
or
150 amps at 220 V ?

Thanks,
Bob

TCS

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:54:30 -0500, Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V,
or
150 amps at 220 V ?

Yes. And by the way, it's the same thing. If you have two 115V lines
@ 150 amps, it's also 150 amps @ 220V.

Hello World

TCS wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:54:30 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V,
or
150 amps at 220 V ?

Yes. And by the way, it's the same thing. If you have two 115V lines
@ 150 amps, it's also 150 amps @ 220V.

What are inside the feed wires? 2 hots @120V each, and a neutral?
The neutral and ground are usually connected at the panel. So
how the electricity figure which way to go, to the neutral, or to
the ground?
EL

Short answer is "yes" ;^)

A home with reasonably modern wiring will have electric service with 3 wires: 2 hots and a neutral. You'll get 220 (or
thereabouts) across both hots, and 110 (or thereabouts) from either to the neutral. Both hot wires go thru the main breaker,
which is really two breakers connected together mechanically so if one trips the other does also.

Bottom line: if you're using 110V you can draw 150 amps off each leg (300 total if evenly distributed), if you're using 220
you can pull 150 amps total. In the real world you're probably using a mixture so it gets a little more complicated.

Eric Law

"Robert11" wrote in message ...
Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V, or
150 amps at 220 V ?

Thanks,
Bob

Matt

It figures it out by asking the water. That's what the wire is for that
connects the panel to the water pipe - it's a communication link.

bill a

is that way power is measured in watts?
because it goes thru watter?

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
It figures it out by asking the water. That's what the wire is for that
connects the panel to the water pipe - it's a communication link.

Matt

Yep! Thats it exactly!

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Hello World -
What are inside the feed wires? 2 hots @120V each, and a neutral?
The neutral and ground are usually connected at the panel. So
how the electricity figure which way to go, to the neutral, or to
the ground?

- Nehmo -
For simplicity, let's only concern ourselves with _one_ hot (black), the
neutral (white), and the ground (bare or green). Also let's just
consider an instant in the changing Alternating Current (AC) cycle, when
the hot is conventionally-called positive. Electricity of the household
line-current type can only travel in a complete circuit – the circuit
has to form a loop. So if a load, a lamp (a lamp with a metal housing
that is grounded to the ground prong of a 3-prong plug) for example, is
placed between the hot and the neutral (the normal situation), the
electricity goes, from the panel, through the hot, through the lamp,
then back through the neutral back to the panel. The ground wire does
nothing because there is no complete circuit that includes the ground
wire.

But suppose something goes wrong: let's say an insulation-stripped hot
wire inside the lamp now touches the lamp housing, a short. Now when you
turn on the lamp, which allows current to the hot wire, the electricity
goes from the panel, through the hot, through the short to the lamp
housing, through the ground prong of the plug, through the ground wire,
and back to the panel where, since the resistance of the circuit is low
and the current is thus high, the breaker opens. The ground wire served
its purpose.

That's how the electricity knows where to go; it goes only where the
circuit is complete.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

TURTLE

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V,
or
150 amps at 220 V ?

Thanks,
Bob

This is Turtle.

150 amps in 115 volt service or 300 amps in a 220 volt service.

You can have 15 --- 20 amp single 115 volt breakers or 7.5 --- 20 amp double
pole breakers at 220 volt service.

E-mail me if you want to discuss it.

TURTLE

Ross Mac

"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115
V, or
150 amps at 220 V ?

Thanks,
Bob

This is Turtle.

150 amps in 115 volt service or 300 amps in a 220 volt service.

How do you figure???????.........Ross

You can have 15 --- 20 amp single 115 volt breakers or 7.5 --- 20 amp
double pole breakers at 220 volt service.

E-mail me if you want to discuss it.

TURTLE

Doug Miller

In article , "TURTLE" wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V,
or 150 amps at 220 V ?

This is Turtle.

150 amps in 115 volt service or 300 amps in a 220 volt service.

WRONG. It means 150 amps at 220 volts.

You can have 15 --- 20 amp single 115 volt breakers or 7.5 --- 20 amp double
pole breakers at 220 volt service.

Wrong again. It's perfectly OK for the ratings of the individual branch
circuit breakers to add up to a *lot* more than the rating of the main
disconnect. This is because the branch circuits will not _all_ be in use, at
full capacity, at the same time.

E-mail me if you want to discuss it.

The OP would be better off posting his questions publicly so that others have
the opportunity to correct your errors.

--
Regards,

willshak

On 1/20/2005 8:40 AM US(ET), Doug Miller took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

In article , "TURTLE" wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message

Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V,
or 150 amps at 220 V ?

This is Turtle.

150 amps in 115 volt service or 300 amps in a 220 volt service.

WRONG. It means 150 amps at 220 volts.

You can have 15 --- 20 amp single 115 volt breakers or 7.5 --- 20 amp double
pole breakers at 220 volt service.

Wrong again. It's perfectly OK for the ratings of the individual branch
circuit breakers to add up to a *lot* more than the rating of the main
disconnect. This is because the branch circuits will not _all_ be in use, at
full capacity, at the same time.

I certainly hope so. I have a 200 amp panel, and if I add all the
breaker sizes up (including the double 220v ones), it comes to 660 amps.
Just the 20 amp breakers alone add up to 280.

E-mail me if you want to discuss it.

The OP would be better off posting his questions publicly so that others have
the opportunity to correct your errors.

--
Regards,

Bill
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115 V,
or
150 amps at 220 V ?

Thanks,
Bob

Yes.

That is, if you look at how 220 is wired in a (US) home, if 150 amps
is being supplied on one leg, then it can "return" so to speak, either
on the neutral for 110V, or on the other hot leg for 220. So the 150
amps is available at either voltage.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Matt

Give 'em hell, Doug!

A home with reasonably modern wiring will have electric service with 3 wires: 2 hots and a neutral. You'll get 220 (or
thereabouts) across both hots, and 110 (or thereabouts) from either to the neutral. Both hot wires go thru the main breaker,
which is really two breakers connected together mechanically so if one trips the other does also.

Bottom line: if you're using 110V you can draw 150 amps off each leg (300 total if evenly distributed), if you're using 220
you can pull 150 amps total. In the real world you're probably using a mixture so it gets a little more complicated.

This answer being for most of north america, assuming that you don't
specifically ask for something different, in areas where 208V
residential
service is also available, and assuming you're willing to tolerate a
little laxity of of terminology.

What you're actually getting is a nominal 33 Kilowatts, which can
manifest
as 150 amps at 220V, or 300 amps at 110V, or any pro-rated combination
between.
Ross Mac

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "TURTLE"
wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Doug...thats why I posted the "How do you figure" comment...there was
a serious violation of ohms law in the Turtles comment....Ross

Ah, a man that knows there is a difference between kVA and KW. You
ought to use a moniker of "Mr. Power Factor" and keep 'em guessing.
;-)

Best regards,
Bob

Yes, but is he real or reactive?

TURTLE

wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

I have say I got it backwards to be completely saying the story. You can get 150
amps on each leg . Then you fill in the blanks as to using 220 volt sevice of
both legs. Then when you say the box is only good for 150 amps at 220 volt
service. Your saying your drawing 150 amps from each leg and that adds up to 300
amps you will really be drawing from the box with 150 amps from each leg. When
you say 220 service breaker in the 150 amp box they are drawing 300 amps in the
real world. You may try to explain it differently but it mounts up to 300 amps
by way of 120 volt draw.

The meaning of 220 volt service at 150 amps means you can pull 150 amps off each
leg by doing so. This amounts to 300 amps if I use single breakers. Now you &
Mr. Miller please explain what is wrong with this info ?

TURTLE

Doug Miller

wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Nothing at all wrong with that... but this is what you posted first:

This is Turtle.

150 amps in 115 volt service or 300 amps in a 220 volt service.

And that's backward.
TURTLE

wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

I have been working with 3 phase 480 volt systems for the last two weeks and I
seem to get everything assbackwards when I get off 3 phase and get back on
single phase stuff again. If your 3 phasing your thinking 1/3 and not 1/2 with
single phase.

So can you forgive me for being assbackwards one time ?

TURTLE

Ross Mac

news

wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

But of course, none of us have ever done that!....yeah right....take care
Turtle....Ross

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Repair 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM