TURTLE

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "TURTLE"
wrote:

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "TURTLE"
wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

When they say a house has, e.g., 150 amp service, is that 150 amps at 115
V,
or 150 amps at 220 V ?

This is Turtle.

150 amps in 115 volt service or 300 amps in a 220 volt service.

WRONG. It means 150 amps at 220 volts.

You can have 15 --- 20 amp single 115 volt breakers or 7.5 --- 20 amp

double
pole breakers at 220 volt service.

Wrong again. It's perfectly OK for the ratings of the individual branch
circuit breakers to add up to a *lot* more than the rating of the main
disconnect. This is because the branch circuits will not _all_ be in use,
at
full capacity, at the same time.

E-mail me if you want to discuss it.

The OP would be better off posting his questions publicly so that others

have
the opportunity to correct your errors.

--
Regards,

Thanks Doug...thats why I posted the "How do you figure" comment...there was

serious violation of ohms law in the Turtles comment....Ross

This is Turtle.

I have say I got it backwards to be completely saying the story. You can get
150
amps on each leg . Then you fill in the blanks as to using 220 volt sevice of
both legs. Then when you say the box is only good for 150 amps at 220 volt
service. Your saying your drawing 150 amps from each leg and that adds up to
300
amps you will really be drawing from the box with 150 amps from each leg. When
you say 220 service breaker in the 150 amp box they are drawing 300 amps in
the

real world. You may try to explain it differently but it mounts up to 300 amps
by way of 120 volt draw.

The meaning of 220 volt service at 150 amps means you can pull 150 amps off
each
leg by doing so. This amounts to 300 amps if I use single breakers. Now you &
Mr. Miller please explain what is wrong with this info ?

Nothing at all wrong with that... but this is what you posted first:

This is Turtle.

150 amps in 115 volt service or 300 amps in a 220 volt service.

And that's backward.

This is Turtle.

I have been working with 3 phase 480 volt systems for the last two weeks and I
seem to get everything assbackwards when I get off 3 phase and get back on
single phase stuff again. If your 3 phasing your thinking 1/3 and not 1/2 with
single phase.

So can you forgive me for being assbackwards one time ?

TURTLE