PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to buy new programmable thermostats for my electic
baseboards.
Problem is, existing (mechanical Honeywell line) thermostats are rated
22amps but most of the programmable ones I see are rated around 16-20
amps.

Did someone just install some overkill thermostats or do I really need
ones rated at 22amps?

I tried researching heaters that I have but couldn't find any info.

If these thermostats actually switch the heater then you will need that much
current. Since most 110V AC branch circuits are rated for 20A max the
extra 2 amps is overhead.

If the thermostat switches a remote relay in the heater (as in most central
heating systems) then the extra current is way overkill as the thermostat is
most likly switching 12V and less than 1A