Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker wire polarity.

I know this one will be too easy for some of you but I'm a newbie so
stay with me.

I am changing speakers in my car and I wish to verify the polarity of
the speaker
wires themselves.

I don't need advice in determining the polarity of the speakers, just
the wires that lead to
the speakers.

Thanks in Advance!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this one will be too easy for some of you but I'm a newbie so
stay with me.

I am changing speakers in my car and I wish to verify the polarity of
the speaker
wires themselves.

I don't need advice in determining the polarity of the speakers, just
the wires that lead to
the speakers.

Not sure that I understand what you want to do. I'll guess that you want to
identify the wires because they are not marked or coded in any way. If you
have a voltmeter, you can connect a AA cell at one end and then measure the
dc polarity at the other end.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this one will be too easy for some of you but I'm a newbie so
stay with me.

I am changing speakers in my car and I wish to verify the polarity of
the speaker
wires themselves.

I don't need advice in determining the polarity of the speakers, just
the wires that lead to
the speakers.

Not sure that I understand what you want to do. I'll guess that you want
to identify the wires because they are not marked or coded in any way. If
you have a voltmeter, you can connect a AA cell at one end and then
measure the dc polarity at the other end.

Unless someone has fitted new wires that are identical, there must be some
identifying mark(s) on them. Are they individual wires, or a piece of twin ?
If twin, there will usually be a stripe on one wire, or text printed along
the sleeve, or a difference in the sleeve profile between top and bottom, or
even the strands inside may be different colours - gold in one conductor,
silver in the other. If it really is two absolutely identical wires, then
you will need to get at both ends, and use a battery and meter as suggested
by the other poster. Alternatively, you can connect to the speakers with no
regard to polarity, then use at 1.5v cell at the far end. The speaker cone
will move either out or in. So long as you then pick one wire to arbitrarily
be "+", and arrange for the same direction of cone movement on the other
speaker, to arrive at a similar arbitrary "+", then your speakers will end
up correctly in phase with one another.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this one will be too easy for some of you but I'm a newbie so
stay with me.

I am changing speakers in my car and I wish to verify the polarity of
the speaker
wires themselves.

I don't need advice in determining the polarity of the speakers, just
the wires that lead to
the speakers.

Thanks in Advance!

ARE YOU ASKING FOR WIRE COLOR USED?
WHICH ONE USES THE RIB IN ZIP CORD? or
WHAT?

gb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

\

ARE YOU ASKING FOR WIRE COLOR USED?
WHICH ONE USES THE RIB IN ZIP CORD? or
WHAT?

gb

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...
\

ARE YOU ASKING FOR WIRE COLOR USED?
WHICH ONE USES THE RIB IN ZIP CORD? or
WHAT?

gb

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Does not matter ... just be consistent with all the speakers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

FOAK wrote:
\

ARE YOU ASKING FOR WIRE COLOR USED?
WHICH ONE USES THE RIB IN ZIP CORD? or
WHAT?

gb

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

It doesn't matter. Electrons can't see the stripe. But ...

If you have stereo, the left and right channels should be consistent.

If one of the speaker terminals is grounded at the speaker, you need
to connect that one to whichever terminal at the radio is grounded.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Does not matter ... just be consistent with all the speakers.

I'm only replacing one speaker. The speaker terminals are marked + and
- .

(The old speaker has no markings on it.)

The wire pair is marked, one wire is a solid color, one wire is
striped.

There must be some way to determine polarity.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Does not matter ... just be consistent with all the speakers.

I'm only replacing one speaker. The speaker terminals are marked + and

Well, then just connect it and stop worrying!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

FOAK wrote:

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Does not matter ... just be consistent with all the speakers.

I'm only replacing one speaker. The speaker terminals are marked + and
- .

If that's the only speaker, then "polarity" is irrelevant.

If you're replacing one speaker in a stereo system, then connect
it consistent with the other one. That means determining the
polarity of the other speaker, which you can do with a 1.5 volt
battery. But you already said you don't need help with that.

(The old speaker has no markings on it.)

The wire pair is marked, one wire is a solid color, one wire is
striped.

There must be some way to determine polarity.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It doesn't matter. Electrons can't see the stripe. But ...

If you have stereo, the left and right channels should be consistent.

If one of the speaker terminals is grounded at the speaker, you need
to connect that one to whichever terminal at the radio is grounded.

I just did some checking, speakers use ac, correct? At least in home
speakers do.

If my car speakers use AC then polarity should mean very little, as in
won't fry anything???? That's my main worry, destruction thru reverse
polarity.

For the speakers in question I am using the striped wire to connect to
the
minus terminals on the new 5 1/14 inch speakers. They sound fine and
a lot better than the old ones.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I just did some checking, speakers use ac, correct? At least in home
speakers do.

Yes and yes.

If my car speakers use AC then polarity should mean very little, as in
won't fry anything???? That's my main worry, destruction thru reverse
polarity.

No, nothing will be fried except your ears and brain if you play it too
loudly.

For the speakers in question I am using the striped wire to connect to
the
minus terminals on the new 5 1/14 inch speakers. They sound fine and
a lot better than the old ones.

With stereo speakers, they should be in-phase ... if they are out-of-phase,
there will be cancellation of the lower frequencies ... but no frying!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:

snip
With stereo speakers, they should be in-phase ... if they are out-of-phase,
there will be cancellation of the lower frequencies ... but no frying!

Actually the OP was saying car speakers. If they are in the doors or
facing each other (one in the dash the other on the rear, they need to
be out-of-phase. If they are side by side, then they need to be
in-phase. And Charles is right - if you get it wrong all those lovely
bass notes will be reduced. So just try it one way then the other, and
if the bass sounds better one way - wire it that way. And like Charles
says - no frying, as they are AC.

HTH,

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Why would you want them out of phase if on facing doors? Explain.

I personally would make sure the polarities are the same on both (in phase)
since this is the way the music was originally recorded to be played back.

Bob

wrote in message
ps.com...

Charles Schuler wrote:

snip
With stereo speakers, they should be in-phase ... if they are
out-of-phase,
there will be cancellation of the lower frequencies ... but no frying!

Actually the OP was saying car speakers. If they are in the doors or
facing each other (one in the dash the other on the rear, they need to
be out-of-phase. If they are side by side, then they need to be
in-phase. And Charles is right - if you get it wrong all those lovely
bass notes will be reduced. So just try it one way then the other, and
if the bass sounds better one way - wire it that way. And like Charles
says - no frying, as they are AC.

HTH,

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob Shuman wrote:

Why would you want them out of phase if on facing doors? Explain.

I personally would make sure the polarities are the same on both (in phase)
since this is the way the music was originally recorded to be played back.

Try it for yourself. If they are facing each other and in phase the
sound waves create a dead zone where they cancel out. If you reverse
one side they are aiding each other. When they are on the same wall the
effect is reversed. What is real fun is when someone puts speakers
along all four walls for paging, and you can't hear anything in the
center of the room. Sometimes you want a dead zone, and if you can
place the phase the speakers properly it is amazing. I installed a
sound system in a high school football stadium about 30 years ago. They
told me they wanted to be able to use a live microphone from goal post
to goal post for the band. It worked so well that the coaches from
visiting teams never failed to complain, "My boys can't hear your PA
system!" I would jusT smile and tell them to "Teach your boys to play
ball, not to listen to the game". Losing coaches have no sense of
humor, but the school was thrilled with the way it worked.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article . com,
FOAK wrote:
I'm only replacing one speaker. The speaker terminals are marked + and -

(The old speaker has no markings on it.)

The wire pair is marked, one wire is a solid color, one wire is
striped.

There must be some way to determine polarity.....

They usually have different sized terminals.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article om,
wrote:
Actually the OP was saying car speakers. If they are in the doors or
facing each other (one in the dash the other on the rear, they need to
be out-of-phase.

Not so.

If they are side by side, then they need to be
in-phase.

At least that bit's correct.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Try it for yourself. If they are facing each other and in phase the
sound waves create a dead zone where they cancel out. If you reverse
one side they are aiding each other. When they are on the same wall the
effect is reversed. What is real fun is when someone puts speakers
along all four walls for paging, and you can't hear anything in the
center of the room.

I'd suggest you actually try this. You just don't get cancellation in the
centre. You will if the speakers are so close as to near touch one another.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article . com,
FOAK wrote:
I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

It's most usual to identify the negative.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Try it for yourself. If they are facing each other and in phase the
sound waves create a dead zone where they cancel out. If you reverse
one side they are aiding each other. When they are on the same wall the
effect is reversed. What is real fun is when someone puts speakers
along all four walls for paging, and you can't hear anything in the
center of the room.

I'd suggest you actually try this. You just don't get cancellation in the
centre. You will if the speakers are so close as to near touch one another.

I replaced a system like that at Microdyne while I worked there
becasue you couldn't hear any of the speakers in the center of the
room. I replaced them with a grid of ceileing speakers, all in phase.
The sopund level was even all over the 200 foot by 200 foot building
whin I finished.

BTW: I owned, and ran a commercial sound business for over 20 years.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...

\

ARE YOU ASKING FOR WIRE COLOR USED?
WHICH ONE USES THE RIB IN ZIP CORD? or
WHAT?

gb

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Does not matter ... just be consistent with all the speakers.

It Most certainly matter. in MOST cases the striped one is negative
Check carfully on your factory speakers sometimes they are marked
iehter with a + sign or a dab of paint.. The guy that said it does not
matter must be one of our customer that keeps sending in his radio with
blown outputs
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

David Naylor wrote:

Charles Schuler wrote:

"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...

\

ARE YOU ASKING FOR WIRE COLOR USED?
WHICH ONE USES THE RIB IN ZIP CORD? or
WHAT?

gb

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Does not matter ... just be consistent with all the speakers.

It Most certainly matter. in MOST cases the striped one is negative
Check carfully on your factory speakers sometimes they are marked
iehter with a + sign or a dab of paint.. The guy that said it does not
matter must be one of our customer that keeps sending in his radio with
blown outputs

It only matters if one of the speaker leads is grounded at the speaker.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
David Naylor wrote:

Charles Schuler wrote:

"FOAK" wrote in message
ups.com...

\

ARE YOU ASKING FOR WIRE COLOR USED?
WHICH ONE USES THE RIB IN ZIP CORD? or
WHAT?

gb

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

Does not matter ... just be consistent with all the speakers.

It Most certainly matter. in MOST cases the striped one is negative Check
carfully on your factory speakers sometimes they are marked iehter with
a + sign or a dab of paint.. The guy that said it does not matter must be
one of our customer that keeps sending in his radio with blown outputs

It only matters if one of the speaker leads is grounded at the speaker.

This is absolutely correct. There is no issue with " + " or " - ". The
terminals could be arbitrarily called " OMO " and " DAZ ". Provided that
there is no grounding at the speaker end, radio " + " could happily be
connected to speaker " - " and vice versa. For stereo, they should both be
connected the same way round because of phase cancellation in the bass, as
already pointed out, but that is the only caveat. If someone is bringing in
a radio with blown outputs, unless one terminal of his speakers is grounded,
then reversed connections is most certainly not the reason. If, however, he
is feeding the high level inputs of one of those nonsense 4 gigawatt amps,
then there may just be an issue, but even those usually have floating
inputs.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

.... its stereo, right? Just check the other speaker in the vehicle, check
where the solid or striped wire goes on that speaker, + or -. Connect new
speaker accordingly. If the new speaker is not maked +, then connect a 1.5v
cell to the speaker. If the cone pushes out then the terminal connected to
the plus of the 1.5v cell is the positive (+) terminal of the speaker.
Q.E.D.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
FOAK wrote:
I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

It's most usual to identify the negative.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I'd suggest you actually try this. You just don't get cancellation in
the centre. You will if the speakers are so close as to near touch one
another.

I replaced a system like that at Microdyne while I worked there
becasue you couldn't hear any of the speakers in the center of the
room.

So complete cancellation? Care to put a figure on it? I'd say for complete
cancellation from a reasonable level you'd be talking about 40+dB. What
about reflections?

I replaced them with a grid of ceileing speakers, all in phase.
The sopund level was even all over the 200 foot by 200 foot building
whin I finished.

Having the speakers as close and even as practical is always a good idea.

BTW: I owned, and ran a commercial sound business for over 20 years.

And I've installed hundreds of temporary PA rigs.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I'd suggest you actually try this. You just don't get cancellation in
the centre. You will if the speakers are so close as to near touch one
another.

I replaced a system like that at Microdyne while I worked there
becasue you couldn't hear any of the speakers in the center of the
room.

So complete cancellation? Care to put a figure on it? I'd say for complete
cancellation from a reasonable level you'd be talking about 40+dB. What
about reflections?

Reflections from what? We are talking about a production floor with
over 100 workbenches at odd spacings, some with an enclosed back and top
shelf, others that are open, with the test equipment stacked on heavy
utility carts. It wasn't a studio or auditorium where you can do a quick
and dirty layout. Even a 20 dB drop with hundreds of fans running, the
sound is completely masked. The only way to get the sound where it was
needed was from overhead, in a rough 20" * 20" grid. Some variations
were required to place some speakers between rows of benches so two
groups could hear and not be blasted out of their seats. It was a
background music and paging system, not a rock concert.

I replaced them with a grid of ceileing speakers, all in phase.
The sopund level was even all over the 200 foot by 200 foot building
whin I finished.

Having the speakers as close and even as practical is always a good idea.

BTW: I owned, and ran a commercial sound business for over 20 years.

And I've installed hundreds of temporary PA rigs.

You set up temporaries. If you install them they are permanent.

I've had days were I started at 4:00 AM and didn't get home till
10:00 PM running from town to town providing sound from portable
systems. I've also spent weeks installing systems in very noisy
factories while in a work basket 30 feet off the floor and over 110
degrees while someone drove a propane forklift for each step of the new
wiring and each speaker. Try installing a system in a paper mill or
corrugated box plant while it's running at full capacity. 40 years of
it, starting at 13 years old.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Farticus wrote:

... its stereo, right? Just check the other speaker in the vehicle, check
where the solid or striped wire goes on that speaker, + or -. Connect new
speaker accordingly. If the new speaker is not maked +, then connect a 1.5v
cell to the speaker. If the cone pushes out then the terminal connected to
the plus of the 1.5v cell is the positive (+) terminal of the speaker.
Q.E.D.

I don't think that is standardized, so you would need to check BOTH
speakers.

FOAK wrote:

I have two wires coming from my radio. The wires go to the speaker.

One wire is a solid color, the other wire is striped.

Which one goes to the positive terminal on my speaker and wich one goes
to the negative terminal?

It's most usual to identify the negative.

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

When you two are through trying to figure out whose is bigger, you might
realize that you're talking about two different things -- car stereo vs
high ambient noise system.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
CJT wrote:
When you two are through trying to figure out whose is bigger, you might
realize that you're talking about two different things -- car stereo vs
high ambient noise system.

Anyone who has ever investigated a car setup - or installed their own -
will know that speakers mounted in doors are wired in phase. Which tends
to make other pronouncements from a source who says that's wrong equally
as suspect.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

FOAK wrote:
I know this one will be too easy for some of you but I'm a newbie so
stay with me.

I am changing speakers in my car and I wish to verify the polarity of
the speaker
wires themselves.

I don't need advice in determining the polarity of the speakers, just
the wires that lead to
the speakers.

Thanks in Advance!

_____________
Simple way to determine polarity for any speaks:

Grab a 9-volt battery(or even a bulky 6-V lantern deal). Place one
speaker lead to the + and one to the - terminal. Watch - or have
someone else watch if speaker is too far away - the movement of the
cone driver as you remove and re-touch the + terminal. If the cone
pushes up(or out as the case may be) the polarity, or "direction of
motion" is positive.

You want all your speakers to move in the positive direction - that is,
into the passenger cabin.

regards,

-CC

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

CJT wrote:

When you two are through trying to figure out whose is bigger, you might
realize that you're talking about two different things -- car stereo vs
high ambient noise system.

Do you always come to a gun fight with nothing more than an empty
cap pistol? I could forward all those Viagra ads to you, if it would
help you grow one.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
CJT wrote:
When you two are through trying to figure out whose is bigger, you might
realize that you're talking about two different things -- car stereo vs
high ambient noise system.

Anyone who has ever investigated a car setup - or installed their own -
will know that speakers mounted in doors are wired in phase.

Yes stereo car radios and tape players. I also installed a handful of
Quad 8 track tape players in cars, back in the '70s. Car radios and
home stereos were part of the commercial sound division for the shop I
worked for. I probably installed over 250 car radios and stereos while
I managed that division. it was fill work, between the big commercial
jobs.

Which tends
to make other pronouncements from a source who says that's wrong equally
as suspect.

Right. And just who are you? A couple hundred posts from 1999?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Come on guys, chill.

Civility in debate is a desirable attribute. I know that is perhaps heresy
on a usenet group but most readers do beleive it.

No one at this point can even sort out what your points were. All that it
has become is a ****ing match. Drop it it you don't have some points to
make. Speaker phasing is just not that hard to figure out, and certainly
not worth all the fuss.

Leonard

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
CJT wrote:
[...]

It has removed 24202 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Yes stereo car radios and tape players. I also installed a handful of
Quad 8 track tape players in cars, back in the '70s. Car radios and
home stereos were part of the commercial sound division for the shop I
worked for. I probably installed over 250 car radios and stereos while
I managed that division. it was fill work, between the big commercial
jobs.

Which tends to make other pronouncements from a source who says that's
wrong equally as suspect.

Right. And just who are you? A couple hundred posts from 1999?

I'd suggest you check maker's installations before sounding off. And then
refund all the money you ripped off from your customers.

It's quite easy to test your theory at home by turning your Hi-Fi speakers
so they face one another. And place your head between them to see if the
sound disappears (with a mono signal).

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

_____________
Simple way to determine polarity for any speaks:

Grab a 9-volt battery(or even a bulky 6-V lantern deal). Place one
speaker lead to the + and one to the - terminal. Watch - or have
someone else watch if speaker is too far away - the movement of the
cone driver as you remove and re-touch the + terminal. If the cone
pushes up(or out as the case may be) the polarity, or "direction of
motion" is positive.

You want all your speakers to move in the positive direction - that is,
into the passenger cabin.

regards,

-CC

So far so good, allow me to restate the situation:

1996 Dodge Caravan, replacing front speakers only at this time.

Original speakers are unmarked, new ones are marked + and - .

So far so good.

Am now about to attach wires. Do the solid color wires go to the
pos terminals and the striped wires go to the neg terminals?

Just wondering .........

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"FOAK" wrote in message
ps.com...

_____________
[...]

Let's just say " yes ". It ain't gonna go bang, as you were worried about,
as long as one of the terminals is not connected to the frame of the
speaker, and the speaker is not also screwed direct to the metal of the
door - just to be clear, that's BOTH conditions together. It's probably
gonna sound fine. All of the car radios I've ever seen, with speakers in the
doors, have been factory wired in phase, but if you feel that you are
getting echo-y, thin sound, just reverse one of them. Again, no bangs to be
had. Just as an aside. If the sound cancels in the middle of the vehicle,
how would you know ?? All of the standard road vehicles that I've seen have
seats offset to the sides ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article om,
FOAK wrote:
So far so good, allow me to restate the situation:

1996 Dodge Caravan, replacing front speakers only at this time.

Original speakers are unmarked, new ones are marked + and - .

So far so good.

Am now about to attach wires. Do the solid color wires go to the
pos terminals and the striped wires go to the neg terminals?

Just wondering .........

It's most unusual for speakers not to be marked in some way. Are the
terminals the same size? Car speakers in this neck of the woods have
usually got one 1/8th and one 3/16th spade terminals. But if not other
posts here give the method of checking using a AA cell, etc.

There are conventions for speaker wiring colours in cars but it's a
question of knowing which one your maker followed - if any.;-)

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *