Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Speaker wire polarity.

"FOAK" wrote in message
ps.com...

_____________
Simple way to determine polarity for any speaks:

Grab a 9-volt battery(or even a bulky 6-V lantern deal). Place one
speaker lead to the + and one to the - terminal. Watch - or have
someone else watch if speaker is too far away - the movement of the
cone driver as you remove and re-touch the + terminal. If the cone
pushes up(or out as the case may be) the polarity, or "direction of
motion" is positive.

You want all your speakers to move in the positive direction - that is,
into the passenger cabin.

regards,

-CC

So far so good, allow me to restate the situation:

1996 Dodge Caravan, replacing front speakers only at this time.

Original speakers are unmarked, new ones are marked + and - .

So far so good.

Am now about to attach wires. Do the solid color wires go to the
pos terminals and the striped wires go to the neg terminals?

Just wondering .........

Let's just say " yes ". It ain't gonna go bang, as you were worried about,
as long as one of the terminals is not connected to the frame of the
speaker, and the speaker is not also screwed direct to the metal of the
door - just to be clear, that's BOTH conditions together. It's probably
gonna sound fine. All of the car radios I've ever seen, with speakers in the
doors, have been factory wired in phase, but if you feel that you are
getting echo-y, thin sound, just reverse one of them. Again, no bangs to be
had. Just as an aside. If the sound cancels in the middle of the vehicle,
how would you know ?? All of the standard road vehicles that I've seen have
seats offset to the sides ...

Arfa