Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Speaker wire polarity.

FOAK wrote:
I know this one will be too easy for some of you but I'm a newbie so
stay with me.

I am changing speakers in my car and I wish to verify the polarity of
the speaker
wires themselves.

I don't need advice in determining the polarity of the speakers, just
the wires that lead to
the speakers.

Thanks in Advance!

_____________
Simple way to determine polarity for any speaks:

Grab a 9-volt battery(or even a bulky 6-V lantern deal). Place one
speaker lead to the + and one to the - terminal. Watch - or have
someone else watch if speaker is too far away - the movement of the
cone driver as you remove and re-touch the + terminal. If the cone
pushes up(or out as the case may be) the polarity, or "direction of
motion" is positive.

You want all your speakers to move in the positive direction - that is,
into the passenger cabin.

regards,

-CC