Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cost of replacing LCD screens

Hi, I am getting a few LCD TVs 32" and higher various brands with most
of these having broken screens. I dont have experience fixing LCD
monitors/TV so am going to attempt this. I have some experience with
fixing other devices and electrical circuits. My question, how much
does the LCD screen costs on average for 32" and higher TVs.

Assuming all other boards are ok and only broken screen, is it worth
fixing these to resell ? Are service manual available for these ? and
is replacing LCD screen simple procedure of just removing the old one
with a new/used one and only connecting a few cables to the new screen
?

thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

Assuming all other boards are ok and only broken screen, is it worth
fixing these to resell ?

You will wind up with a unit that costs more than a new one, and way more
when they are on sale, and the warranty won't be as good. Not a good deal
for all. What happens when a customer refuses to claim the unit(s)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Hi, I am getting a few LCD TVs 32" and higher various brands with most
of these having broken screens. I dont have experience fixing LCD
monitors/TV so am going to attempt this. I have some experience with
fixing other devices and electrical circuits. My question, how much
does the LCD screen costs on average for 32" and higher TVs.

Assuming all other boards are ok and only broken screen, is it worth
fixing these to resell ? Are service manual available for these ? and
is replacing LCD screen simple procedure of just removing the old one
with a new/used one and only connecting a few cables to the new screen
?

thanks.

You say broken? If there is physical damage to the screen, it's trash,
dispose of properly please. As has been pointed out, not economical to
fix unless you have the exact model as a spare you got for free. However
if by broken you mean, does not work, that's a little different.
If the power lt is on but it's a dark screen, you may have just bad
backlighting. This is definitely worth the try, there have been several
threads here and elsewhere on the web on fixing the cold cathode inverters.
If the backlighting is OK but the screen doesn't show proper data or
it's all messed up that gets very iffy. There's typically one or more
FPGA's between the video in and the LCD itself. If they're bad, your
chances of finding a replacement part or a manual are slim to none. Toss
it or save for parts.
If you collect enough of them as unrepairables/freebie's you may be
able to build up an inventory of replacement parts. But there's nothing
really standard about them. Same model from the same "manufacturer" can
have different innards.

tomh

"I asked him what his name was and how 'come he didn't drive a truck,
he said his name was Columbus and I just said good luck"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

some I have have broken or cracked screens. A few I have are LCD
monitors 17 and 19" with some issues, not broken screen. Some would
power up, nothing on screen. Others wont power up at all. A few power
up but have red or pink vertical line. Any ideas/leads on this would be
helpful.

thanks in advance.

tomh wrote:
wrote:
[...]

High Cost of Keeping Hot Tub Ready To Go Bryan Home Repair 58 March 9th 06 12:08 PM
OT - The Cost of War Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 103 January 18th 06 10:10 PM
Gutter cost in MA davidmc Home Repair 3 November 16th 05 09:49 PM
New gas furnace time [email protected] Home Repair 22 February 19th 05 03:19 AM
Safe and cost effective generator connections to household wiring. Thomas D. Horne Home Repair 8 August 19th 03 08:14 PM