davidmc

Default Gutter cost in MA

i just rec'd a quote for replacing the gutters on my house, and would
like second opinions on whether the cost is excessive. I wanted
seamless aluminum gutters, for my 2-story colonial house that has a
footprint of 45 x 20 w/ 16 corners. The contractor quoted me $7500 for
the gutters w/ the leafguard on it, $5500 w/out it. And the garage
would have been $750 extra. Included in this price was $1300 to rip
down the current gutters, but the price didn't include replacement of
any rotten fascia boards (which would be $10/ft).

Does this seem exorbitant to anyone? It was double what i was
expecting. Now i kinda realize that there is no point in doing
seamless gutters b/c there's only one part of the house that exceeds
15', so by going w/ seamless vs. non-seamless i'm only eliminating one
or two seams.

Anyone have ballpark estimates (in boston metro) for how much a
standard aluminum gutter installation would cost? And how much would
copper cost?

siralfred

There's no such thing as "standard" in houses. Get more quotes (at
least three) and ask your neighbors for references if they've had
gutters installed recently. Copper will be ALOT more.

Keith Williams

In article .com,
says...
i just rec'd a quote for replacing the gutters on my house, and would
like second opinions on whether the cost is excessive. I wanted
seamless aluminum gutters, for my 2-story colonial house that has a
footprint of 45 x 20 w/ 16 corners. The contractor quoted me $7500 for
the gutters w/ the leafguard on it, $5500 w/out it. And the garage
would have been $750 extra. Included in this price was $1300 to rip
down the current gutters, but the price didn't include replacement of
any rotten fascia boards (which would be $10/ft).

Sounds awefully high, though I haven't had gutters put up in some
time. Then it was something like $2.50/ft and they took the old
stuff down as part of the deal. Again, it was a long time ago so
perhaps double that. If you're going to put up new gutters, I'd
look into putting up aluminum facia at the same time. ...no more
worries about rot (and it's cheap).

Does this seem exorbitant to anyone? It was double what i was
expecting. Now i kinda realize that there is no point in doing
seamless gutters b/c there's only one part of the house that exceeds
15', so by going w/ seamless vs. non-seamless i'm only eliminating one
or two seams.

You can buy material a lot longer than 15'. I bought 28' long
stuff for my garage. Fortunately, the roofing supply place I
bought it was owned by an acquaintence, so it came delivered. ;-)

Anyone have ballpark estimates (in boston metro) for how much a
standard aluminum gutter installation would cost? And how much would
copper cost?

Ask at Sears and the Borg or call someone in the yellow pages.
IME, they have a per-foot price.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

davidmc wrote:
[...]

Just had it done in Texas; $3.50/foot. For your house (45x20 = 130 x 2 = 260
linear feet x 3.50 = $910.00.

Plus maybe another $100/year in taxes for increased property evaluation.

I think, from a contractor, seamless gutters are probably cheaper - He can
carry 1000' on a roll in the back of a van instead of ten pieces in a
twenty-foot truck. Also, there's no waste when using seamless if he needs a
three-foot bit.