Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Variation in usable capacitor ratings?

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would personally replace all of them as a kit especially if they are being
used as timing or wave shaping. The higher capacitance rating when being
used as a filter is going to remove more ripple.

"Art Deco" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If I were doing it I would replace all as a set especially if they are being
used as wave shaping or timing caps. As a DC filter any capacitance
increase will usually remove more riple.

"Art Deco" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Art Deco wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In any combination you like.

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

It's just a *maximum* voltage.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:53:37 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Art Deco wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In any combination you like.

OK, thanks.

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

It's just a *maximum* voltage.

So in the third example above, where a 330uF 16V cap is replaced with
a 470uF, 35V cap, it wouldn't be advisable to exceed 35V for the
replacement?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Art Deco wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

These largish value caps are usually used for smoothing and decoupling,
where values a bit bigger are a non issue. The voltage rating is the
max V the cap is rated to work with, so again replacing with the next
voltage up is a non issue.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

[...]

It's not going to exceed 35V is it ? The voltage must be under 16V or the
original cap wouldn't have been suitable.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:50:51 +0100, Art Deco Has Frothed:

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver using a
kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the original
capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a set
or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

Either or.

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

I always opt for a higher max voltage if available. The capacitive value
depends on what the cap does. Electrolytics usually can be subbed by
higher values maybe 20% higher without side effects.

Why do you have this idea about 20% ?

Any voltage higher than that required is just fine, although it would be silly
to take it to extremes.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
[...]

They are a bit better these days, but the capacitance value tolerance on
electrolytics used to be +80% / -20%. An increased voltage rating, within
reason, is of little consequece, provided the part is still of a suitable
physical size to fit where it has got to go. Going up too far on the
voltage, can alter other characteristics of the cap, such as its ESR, which
may or may not be a problem, depending on the cap's function. For caps used
as filters in switch mode or linear power supplies, an increase in value is
often beneficial to the filtering function, but if you go too far, then the
initial charging current from cold, may prove too much for some prior
component, such as a diode or regulator transistor. As Meaty-boy says, going
up 20% on the nominal value will not present a problem, and the values
supplied in the kit should be just fine.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

[...]

I meant the voltage rating of the replacement capacitor.
Would it make a difference here if a 470uF 50V capacitor was used?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

[...]

Almost certainly not, provided it fitted the board ok. But note that if it's
much bigger than the original part, that might bring it closer to some item
that runs hot, and this will shorten the life of the replacement by a
considerable factor...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In power supplies the capacitance values are usually not critical, so
anything up to 3 times the value is probably okay, actually, a good
thing.

The voltage rating can also be higher, up to 3 times higher is
perfectly okay. If you go above that, there's a chance the capacitor
will over time lose part of it's dielectric thickness, which will
increase the capacitance, which is harmless in 98% of the cases.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:20:26 +0100, Art Deco put
finger to keyboard and composed:

wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

[...]

The only things I would be concerned about would be whether the higher
voltage types had higher leakage, which *may* effect some timing
applications, or whether the higher voltage types had higher ESR
values, which would result in poorer performance in switchmode supply
applications (as stated elsewhere in this thread).

- Franc Zabkar