Adrian Mariano

Default moldy apple wood, usable?

I'm trying to dry a small amount of apple wood. I stacked and
stickered it outside (following the advice in Understanding Wood),
where it's been for perhaps 9 months in a location protected from
direct sun and rain. But I discovered today that the wood is streaked
with gray mold in many places.

Do I have to throw it away? Or can I bleach it and continue the
drying process and expect that any risidual mold will get removed when
it is jointed and planed and cut to size?

George

Maybe.

Depends on what the "mold" is, and what you're after.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/ii-4.pdf
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/ii-2.pdf

Will get you started in your determination. If in doubt, run a plane over a
wiped area and take a look.

"Adrian Mariano" wrote in message
I'm trying to dry a small amount of apple wood. I stacked and
stickered it outside (following the advice in Understanding Wood),
where it's been for perhaps 9 months in a location protected from
direct sun and rain. But I discovered today that the wood is streaked
with gray mold in many places.

Do I have to throw it away? Or can I bleach it and continue the
drying process and expect that any risidual mold will get removed when
it is jointed and planed and cut to size?

Mike Marlow

"Adrian Mariano" wrote in message
I'm trying to dry a small amount of apple wood. I stacked and
stickered it outside (following the advice in Understanding Wood),
where it's been for perhaps 9 months in a location protected from
direct sun and rain. But I discovered today that the wood is streaked
with gray mold in many places.

Do I have to throw it away? Or can I bleach it and continue the
drying process and expect that any risidual mold will get removed when
it is jointed and planed and cut to size?

It must now be properly disposed of in a manner approved by the DEC. If you
are not certified to perform this disposal then I'm happy to do it for you.
Since you're obviously new to this and I'm feeling particularly generous
tonight, I'll waive the normal fee and all you really have to do is get the
wood to me and I'll take care of the rest.

--

-Mike-

Adrian Mariano

Thanks for the references. The mold in question is fuzzy gray stuff
which looks like it is on the wood rather than in the wood. I had
already conducted the highly sophisticated rot detection test of
pressing really hard with my fingernail to see if it would sink into
the wood. That test did not reveal any rot.