Adrian Mariano

Thanks for the references. The mold in question is fuzzy gray stuff
which looks like it is on the wood rather than in the wood. I had
already conducted the highly sophisticated rot detection test of
pressing really hard with my fingernail to see if it would sink into
the wood. That test did not reveal any rot.

"George" george@least writes:

Maybe.

Depends on what the "mold" is, and what you're after.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/ii-4.pdf
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/ii-2.pdf

Will get you started in your determination. If in doubt, run a plane over a
wiped area and take a look.

"Adrian Mariano" wrote in message
I'm trying to dry a small amount of apple wood. I stacked and
stickered it outside (following the advice in Understanding Wood),
where it's been for perhaps 9 months in a location protected from
direct sun and rain. But I discovered today that the wood is streaked
with gray mold in many places.

Do I have to throw it away? Or can I bleach it and continue the
drying process and expect that any risidual mold will get removed when
it is jointed and planed and cut to size?