Default Another variation on hourly rates

As I'm no longer able to do most DIY jobs the way I used to, for the first
time I need to employ a decorator also able to do a few odd jobs within the
range of the average DIYer rather than an expert.

My daughter's boyfriend does this sort of work professionally and is happy
to do what I need. He thinks there will be about 7 days work. And I can't
think of anyone I'd rather trust to do it. He's not formally trained, but
is a good workman, much in demand. He's worked on several series of TV DIY
programmes and they keep wanting him back, so that seems a indicator of
reasonable reliability!

My problem is that I think he's likely to try to *undercharge* me! While I
don't, of course, want to be ripped off, I do want to ensure I pay him a
fair wage for his time. After all, while he's working for me he can't earn
his keep elsewhere. We've agreed that much in principle, but sums have yet
to be mentioned and I want to be prepared for when they are.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what a fair daily wage might be, assuming
that materials will be bought separately? Being self-employed he will have
some overheads but these do not include special premises or employing
others. What would tradespeople here consider reasonable to charge a
friend in similar circumstances? I'm in the London area.

Thanks

Barbara

David W.E. Roberts

wrote in message
[...]

Outside London a labourer is about £70 per day and a skilled worker e.g.
plasterer about £100 per day.
London prices are likely to be higher but this should give you some
guidance.
HTH
Dave R

NC

If I were you, I'd get a quote from someone else - get it split into time
and materials and then give him the same for his time. This will end up
costing you the same, but you will have all the advantages of being able to
trust him.
Is he Craig from Big Bro ?!?!?!

wrote in message
[...]

Sadly no :-)) But just as nice as Craig seems to be.

Barbara

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Outside London a labourer is about £70 per day and a skilled worker e.g.
plasterer about £100 per day.
London prices are likely to be higher but this should give you some
guidance.
HTH

Very much, thank you, Dave. My own first thought had been around £100 a
day.

Barbara

Paul Mc Cann

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:58:34 +0100,
wrote:

[...]

Bite the bullet and ask him. Emphasise that you want to pay him a fair
rate. If he quotes more than what others are suggesting is reasonable
then pay him and don't use him again or weasel out of it.

If he quotes considerably less then consider that he may WANT to do
you a favour. (As a tradesman he knows the going rate.) Dont deny him
the opportunity of ingratiating himself ;-) Who wouldn't want to keep
in with a potential mother-in law.

In the past I have often done (diy) jobs for people for nothing
knowing that it will most likely put them off asking me again ;-)

Equally I often do jobs for 'family' for which I wouldn't dream of
charging, but I do have a long memory and it can be useful having
favours stored up.

Paul Mc Cann

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

OK you may have seen his work on TV but the one eyed monster hides a
multitude of sins *very* well. Most sets are built from frames and ply
covering, the joints are simply masking taped over and painted. The
camera doesn't pick up the ridges from the tape. Once a set has been
used for a while grubby finger marks appear, they don't pick up either
or the chips and dings from impact with studio equipment. Most used
sets are seriously shabby when you see them in the flesh.

Yes, I appreciate that.

He's worked both on set building for a reality series (not Big Brother!) and
as a decorator who can turn his hand to most things on several series of a
TV makeover programme - seen occasionally on screen and with his name in the
credits, but not someone recognisable to the public.

My point, however, was not that this proved him to be a good workman but the
fact that he was in demand suggested he was reliable. These makeover teams
work under pressure and need someone who will be there when he says he will,
work hard and quickly, is flexible, can work well in a team, and will get on
with his job without fuss, if nothing else.

And it does mean he's accumulated a great many of practical tips and ideas
from the designers, which I will find useful as my aim is to renovate my
flat before selling so it's not necessarily my personal taste I want to
express. Between him and my daughter, who has something of an artist's eye
for design, I think they will be very helpful in envisaging what work we
need to do.

In fact, I've other reasons to know that his workmanship is good. Not
least, of course, from my daughter who has decorated and restored her own
flat beautifully with him and attests to how much in demand he is now that
his work is getting known locally.

Barbara

"Dave Plowman" wrote

Well, if he feels he wants to do you a favour as a potential family
member, I'd accept it with good grace. You could always buy him a gift
afterwards.

I could indeed. Thanks for your views, everyone.

Barbara