Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Variation in usable capacitor ratings?

Meat Plow wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:50:51 +0100, Art Deco Has Frothed:

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver using a
kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the original
capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a set
or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

Either or.

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

I always opt for a higher max voltage if available. The capacitive value
depends on what the cap does. Electrolytics usually can be subbed by
higher values maybe 20% higher without side effects.

Why do you have this idea about 20% ?

Any voltage higher than that required is just fine, although it would be silly
to take it to extremes.

Graham