Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Deco Art Deco is offline

Default Variation in usable capacitor ratings?

On 19 Oct 2006 12:44:34 -0700, wrote:

Art Deco wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

These largish value caps are usually used for smoothing and decoupling,
where values a bit bigger are a non issue. The voltage rating is the
max V the cap is rated to work with, so again replacing with the next
voltage up is a non issue.

Thanks, everyone. I now have a better idea how this all works.