Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Variation in usable capacitor ratings?

"Art Deco" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:56:49 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Art Deco wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:53:37 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:
Art Deco wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been upgrading a simple power supply in a satellite receiver
using a kit provided by a company selling spares.

I've noticed that there's quite a bit of difference between the
original capacitor values and the upgraded replacements provided, for
instance

Old New

47uF, 35V 100uF, 35V
2200uF, 10V 2200uF, 16V
330uF, 16V 470uF, 35

etc

My querstion is: do the upgraded capacitors only work together as a
set or can any one of them be replaced with the upgraded value?

In any combination you like.

OK, thanks.

In the latter case, a follow-up quesion would be how much variation
in
capacitor value is permissible (presumably as long as it's higher)?

It's just a *maximum* voltage.

So in the third example above, where a 330uF 16V cap is replaced with
a 470uF, 35V cap, it wouldn't be advisable to exceed 35V for the
replacement?

It's not going to exceed 35V is it ? The voltage must be under 16V or the
original cap wouldn't have been suitable.

I meant the voltage rating of the replacement capacitor.
Would it make a difference here if a 470uF 50V capacitor was used?

Almost certainly not, provided it fitted the board ok. But note that if it's
much bigger than the original part, that might bring it closer to some item
that runs hot, and this will shorten the life of the replacement by a
considerable factor...

Arfa