Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony Trinitron KV-32LS35V CRT Dying ?

This UK model TV is nearly 4 years old has been heavily used and has
the following fault.

When switched on from cold the picture is very dark, the highlights
appear to be crushed and "silvery", the colour balance is wrong with
low level flesh tones (under the chin, say) taking on a magenta cast.

This effect warms out quite rapidly within 5 or so minutes, and if the
contrast is not run too high the picture is more/less normal for the
rest of the day but highlights can still look a bit silvery and
coloured yellowish. The problem appears to be getting worse.

The set was bought with a "free" 5 year extended warranty *but* the
retailer, Allders, no longer exists. In the UK I can make a claim
against the finance company who provided the credit to buy the set,
thankfully they still exist. But there is only one year left on the
Ex. Warranty and I might have quite a lot of argueing to do with them.

I am thinking the CRT has one or more low emission guns and the repair
will be expensive/uneconomical. I don't want them to start a long
backwards and forwards sequence of repair visits 'till the warranty
expires.

Forewarned is forearmed. ;-)

TIA for any opinions.

DG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Derek ^ wrote:
[...]

they will most likely tell you to take it to a shop and the shop will or
should give an estimate to the xredit company and they WILL rfusee to
repair it and let you get a new set. at least thats the way mu shop does it
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Derek ^ wrote:
[...]

This is indeed falling CRT emission. I'd aim firmly for a replacement
set, as although it could be fixed it would not last, and a CRT is not
in any way economical to replace. Emission must have fallen quite badly
to get to this point, and it will only deteriorate if not replaced.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Your description sounds like a CRT that has been failing for a while. Most
of these CRT's are no longer available. If so, the cost would not be
feasible. In these cases, most of the warranty contractors will give what is
called a pro-rated rebate for an exchange.

Read your warranty contract very carefully to know the agreement that is
stated on it. This way, you will be in a legal position to argue for a full
credit, if the contract indicates full exchange, which I doubt after the
first year.

--

JANA
_____

"Derek ^" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This is a classic picture tube failure, I've seen it as many as 50
years ago on B+W sets. The silver shimmering is exactly the way to
describe it. There is no way to do anything except replace the picture
tube or buy another set.

H. R. Hofmann

Derek ^ wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I would certainly refuse a repair! I agree that your CRT is as good as
dead but if there is only a short time to go before the warranty expires
some repair shops may decide to rejuvinate the tube instead of replacing
it. The result will be a very good picture - for a short time. Check your
warranty agreement and if possible insist on a new tube verified in
writing, or a replacement set. Be aware though, that some policies
guarantee the tube for 12 months only but the rest of the set can be
longer. Watch out for this.
Regards,
Colin

Derek ^ wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Colin wrote:

I would certainly refuse a repair! I agree that your CRT is as good as
dead but if there is only a short time to go before the warranty expires
some repair shops may decide to rejuvinate the tube instead of replacing
it. The result will be a very good picture - for a short time. Check your
warranty agreement and if possible insist on a new tube verified in
writing, or a replacement set.

I just presumed the end user would have no legal right to such, and
would thus be taking a chance as to what the supplier decided to do.

If all they offered was a tube rejuv, I'd say no, having nothing is
better than doing that. The problem with rejuvenators is they make the
tube smear badly when it saturates, meaning that as the emission goes
down again, which it soon will, instead of just getting wonky or so-so
colour, you get real bad picture smearing, and your set gets an early
death as no-one would want to watch it like that.

If OTOH you get nothing done, voltage boosting can keep old tubes going
for years. I did some very aggressive boosting on a Sony set in much
worse shape than yours, and it was still ok years down the line. I got
it so bad that nothing could be seen on the screen at all, and I
boosted it so hard I didnt dare give it to anyone else. IIRC +70%
heater, +10% EHT. Whoever had it before must have had very good night
vision

NT