Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Colin Colin is offline

Default Sony Trinitron KV-32LS35V CRT Dying ?

I would certainly refuse a repair! I agree that your CRT is as good as
dead but if there is only a short time to go before the warranty expires
some repair shops may decide to rejuvinate the tube instead of replacing
it. The result will be a very good picture - for a short time. Check your
warranty agreement and if possible insist on a new tube verified in
writing, or a replacement set. Be aware though, that some policies
guarantee the tube for 12 months only but the rest of the set can be
longer. Watch out for this.
Regards,
Colin

Derek ^ wrote:

This UK model TV is nearly 4 years old has been heavily used and has
the following fault.

When switched on from cold the picture is very dark, the highlights
appear to be crushed and "silvery", the colour balance is wrong with
low level flesh tones (under the chin, say) taking on a magenta cast.

This effect warms out quite rapidly within 5 or so minutes, and if the
contrast is not run too high the picture is more/less normal for the
rest of the day but highlights can still look a bit silvery and
coloured yellowish. The problem appears to be getting worse.

The set was bought with a "free" 5 year extended warranty *but* the
retailer, Allders, no longer exists. In the UK I can make a claim
against the finance company who provided the credit to buy the set,
thankfully they still exist. But there is only one year left on the
Ex. Warranty and I might have quite a lot of argueing to do with them.

I am thinking the CRT has one or more low emission guns and the repair
will be expensive/uneconomical. I don't want them to start a long
backwards and forwards sequence of repair visits 'till the warranty
expires.

Forewarned is forearmed. ;-)

TIA for any opinions.

DG