Jerry G.

Default Sony TV Flickers Forever After Being Turned On (Trinitron XBR)

Most likely some parts in the power supply, and or the scan circuits that
have become thermo sensitive and are failing. Many times it is capacitors
that cause these types of faults. With proper troubleshooting, and doing ESR
tests on the caps, the defective ones can be found, and then replaced.

If you are not properly trained in doing TV service, I would suggest you
give the set out for servicing.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Chris Guimbellot" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have a Sony Trinitron XBR, probably over 10 years old. The sound is
great. The picture is okay too, when it finally comes on anyway. That
leads me to the problem. When I turn on the set, the volume comes on
immediately, but it takes a good two minutes for the picture to come
on. When it finally does, it flashes right off. Then it waits a minute
or so, then comes back on, only to go right back off. This flashing
repeats with the amount of time the picture is working becoming longer
while the time the screen is off becoming shorter. Eventually, after
almost an hour, it will quit blinking and be fine. That is, of course
until I turn it off again. If I leave it off for only a few minutes,
it will still have problems, but will not last as long as when its
"totally cold", around 10 minutes or so for it to work properly. I am
not much of an electrician. I was just kind of wondering what may be
wrong and if it may be worth fixing. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks,

Chris

David

Weak picture tube causing the AKB circuit to blank the video. Common old
Sony problem.
Sometimes a slight increase of the G2 voltage will extend the life for a few
months or a year or so.

Time to start looking for a new tv set.

David

[...]

Chris Guimbellot

David,

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. Thats pretty much what I
thought. Good to get it from someone who knows though. Thanks again,

Chris

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Chris Guimbellot

Jerry,

Do you think its cost-effective to get it fixed? It is a 29" set and I think
its pretty cool.

Chris

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

Chris Guimbellot

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Ill start looking.

Chris

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
Do you think its cost-effective to get it fixed? It is a 29" set and I

think
its pretty cool.

It is always possible that your problem may be something else.

But, if the tube is weak and the AKB is reacting to that, then replacement

is a
more economical choice than repair.

The only way to repair a TV with a weak CRT is to replace the CRT with a

new
one. Once you do replace the CRT, what about the other parts in the set

that
may also be worn out? Also, you can do band-aids, like using a CRT

booster,
but it's not really worth it in most cases. - Reinhart