Default identified (well sorta) loose solder joint in Sony Trinitron 17" - will I die?

Had some power brownout probs... may be related...
Sony HMA 200 17" Trinitron heats up and then all of a sudden the picture at
the upper right pops in about 1 cm.
Occasionally, it will pincushion toward middle.
Whacking sides of monitor fixes it for a few minutes.

Pulled cover... knocked around on PCB with a piece of plastic shaft from
coathanger.
Solder open seems to be near a heatsink and transistor near the front left
on main board right by flyback.

If I can manage to yank the board up to reflow some joints, am I gonna get
my balls blown off?

I've repaired studio strobes with a voltage of around 600v successfully and
lived to tell.

With cover off and brightness down to 0 the problem has not reoccured in
about an hour now.

Also- should I keep brightness down and up the contrast to prolong the life?

Thanks in advance!
I dearly love this little monitor and just learned that Sony has abandoned
all sub-21" CRTs =(

Skip

Daniel L. Belton

s wrote:

[...]

You'll get your balls blown off only if you try to copulate with the
flyback... g

you should be ok as long as you keep a close eye on what you are doing.
It seems you already know that there is very high voltage present.

To be safe though... you need to take that big red wire and insert
it.... welllllll... g

good luck!
Jerry Greenberg

Turn the monitor off, and unplug the AC from it. You can carefully
unassemble, and carefully re-solder the connection.

If you are conserned about stored voltage, you can take readings of
the power supply outputs with a DVM to make sure that there are no
stored voltages feeding out. Usually, only the primary side of the
power supply, and the output of the high voltage sections are
particulary dangerous for a very long time after the monitor has been
shut down, unless properly discharged.

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

--

"s" wrote in message ...
[...]

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:49:25 -0600, "s" wrote:

Woohoo I fixed it!!

I love saving $600 bucks lol!!!

Congrats! It won't be too long until you're scrounging around at the
dump for things to fix and give to friends as presents.

[:}