Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Name for Jubilee clips in USA

Returning to USA/UK tool terms etc

What is the name in the USA for what we call
a Jubilee clip in the UK, presumably named in
Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

pic http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/jubilee.gif
Wrap round flexible steel tightenable band around flexible pipe unions.

Full list of translated terms on
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
but any more additions welcome

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote in message
Returning to USA/UK tool terms etc

What is the name in the USA for what we call
a Jubilee clip in the UK, presumably named in
Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

pic http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/jubilee.gif
Wrap round flexible steel tightenable band around flexible pipe unions.

Full list of translated terms on
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
but any more additions welcome

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

called a Schlauchschelle in Germany it would seem

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:12:11 +0100, "N Cook"
wrote:

Returning to USA/UK tool terms etc

What is the name in the USA for what we call
a Jubilee clip in the UK, presumably named in
Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

pic http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/jubilee.gif
Wrap round flexible steel tightenable band around flexible pipe unions.

Full list of translated terms on
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
but any more additions welcome

Jubilee is just a registered trade mark given to the "Worm Drive Hose
Clip" which L. Robinson & Co. invented in 1921.
http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/

I don't know what they are called in the USA but in Australia I have
never heard of them referred to as "Jubilee clips". I suspect that was
simply due to the fact that we didn't import any of those manufactured
by L. Robinson & Co. We have always known them as "Worm Drive Hose
Clips" and I wouldn't bve surprised if it wasn't the case in the USA.
For example, the Norma company ( Germany) has manufacturing plants in
many countries including the USA and this is a typical product page
for their hose clamps http://www.aapsa.com.au/norma.html

You will note that the HD and Torro clips are called "worm Drive Hose
Clips".
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, probably boring and not very specific "hose clamp" which could cover
all the variants of loops of wire and twisted wire etc.

Not just "foreign sounding" but positively imperial sounding, Boston tea
part and all that from this

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...1094503,00.htm
" Americans know it as a hose clamp, a metal band that can be tightened
around the junction of a metal pipe and rubber tube for no-leak connections.
In England, where the device was invented, it's called a Jubilee clip, named
in honor of Queen Victoria's 50th anniversary party.

1921. Lumley Robinson invented the hose clamp when, while commanding a Royal
Navy destroyer in WWI, enemy fire destroyed some hoses. The name "Jubilee"
was deemed foreign sounding by Stateside manufacturers who began producing
them during WWII. "

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
N Cook wrote:
What is the name in the USA for what we call a Jubilee clip in the UK,
presumably named in Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

Worm drive hose clip would probably be understood anywhere in the English
speaking world.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Returning to USA/UK tool terms etc

What is the name in the USA for what we call
a Jubilee clip in the UK, presumably named in
Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

pic http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/jubilee.gif
Wrap round flexible steel tightenable band around flexible pipe unions.

Full list of translated terms on
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
but any more additions welcome

It's also known as a "gear clamp"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Returning to USA/UK tool terms etc

What is the name in the USA for what we call
a Jubilee clip in the UK, presumably named in
Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

pic
http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/jubilee.gif
Wrap round flexible steel tightenable band around flexible pipe unions.

Full list of translated terms on
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
but any more additions welcome

It's also known as a "gear clamp"

Pipe clamp.

Oops, that should have read: hose clamp.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Pipe clamp.

Pipe down, Sam! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message

wrote:

Returning to USA/UK tool terms etc

What is the name in the USA for what we call
a Jubilee clip in the UK, presumably named in
Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

pic
http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/jubilee.gif
Wrap round flexible steel tightenable band around flexible pipe

unions.

Full list of translated terms on
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/tool_terms.htm
but any more additions welcome

It's also known as a "gear clamp"

Pipe clamp.

Oops, that should have read: hose clamp.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header

above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included

in the

Do UK mechanical engineering terms such as clevit pins or Woodruff keys or
Jacob's chucks mean anything stateside?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Do UK mechanical engineering terms such as clevit pins or Woodruff keys or
Jacob's chucks mean anything stateside?

I think you mean clevis pins. Dunno about Woodruff keys, although I think
I've heard that term here in the US.

As far as Jacobs chucks, here in the US those are pretty much the standard
drill chuck on the end of an electric or portable drill. I don't think I've
ever seen another kind, apart from a very few unmarked ones.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William R. Walsh m wrote
in message news:12HUg.1007793$084.534832@attbi_s22...
Hi!

Do UK mechanical engineering terms such as clevit pins or Woodruff keys

or
Jacob's chucks mean anything stateside?

I think you mean clevis pins. Dunno about Woodruff keys, although I think
I've heard that term here in the US.

As far as Jacobs chucks, here in the US those are pretty much the standard
drill chuck on the end of an electric or portable drill. I don't think

I've
ever seen another kind, apart from a very few unmarked ones.

William

yes, sloppy fingers, Clevis pins

Woodruff keys lock gears/pulleys etc to large shafts, similar to roll pins
(same USA term ?) locate small pulleys etc to small shafts

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
William R. Walsh m wrote
in message news:12HUg.1007793$084.534832@attbi_s22...
Hi!

Do UK mechanical engineering terms such as clevit pins or Woodruff keys

or
Jacob's chucks mean anything stateside?

I think you mean clevis pins. Dunno about Woodruff keys, although I think
I've heard that term here in the US.

As far as Jacobs chucks, here in the US those are pretty much the standard
drill chuck on the end of an electric or portable drill. I don't think

I've
ever seen another kind, apart from a very few unmarked ones.

William

yes, sloppy fingers, Clevis pins

Woodruff keys lock gears/pulleys etc to large shafts, similar to roll pins
(same USA term ?) locate small pulleys etc to small shafts

Same name, as far as I can tell, although I might have been reading Brit
manual. At least I knew immediately what it was when mentioned.
'Jacobs chuck' as a term is not in common usage, but again, I knew what
it was. Mostly just referred to as a 'chuck' or 'drill chuck'. Clevis
pin is a common term, especially amongst us old farm boys.

Any Haynes auto repair manual has a pretty comprehensive cross-reference
of Brit vs. American mechanical terms.

jak

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
jakdedert wrote:
Any Haynes auto repair manual has a pretty comprehensive cross-reference
of Brit vs. American mechanical terms.

Glad you've found a use for one. ;-)

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
jakdedert wrote:
Any Haynes auto repair manual has a pretty comprehensive cross-reference
of Brit vs. American mechanical terms.

Glad you've found a use for one. ;-)

I know...but they're not totally useless, as long as one maintains the
proper degree of skepticism.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

Woodruff keys lock gears/pulleys etc to large shafts, similar to roll pins
(same USA term ?) locate small pulleys etc to small shafts

Maybe this is obvious, but just FYI - a roll pin and a Woodruff key may
be similar in function (locking a shaft to something on the shaft), but
not at all in appearance or application. At least not in my corner of
the world.

Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

LOL.. Isn't that the truth.. If you look anything up in a haynes manual it
says take it to the dealer for proper service.. I wonder why I wasted my $15
on that stupid book. It doesn't even have any good part breakdowns in it.

- Mike

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Glad you've found a use for one. ;-)